Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what size bale trailer

Options
  • 17-03-2014 1:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

what size bale trailer would you need to fit 10 bales on the bottom row.
    is a back rail a necessity?
    any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

From memory I think it's 22 feet. You need something either end, rail or built up ramp. I would recommend to make the trailer 9' wide. Makes loading and unloading a lot easier. Gap in the middle for the trunk type bale handler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭cute geoge

22 foot should cover u and no need for back rail , the most important thing make sure its tandem axle

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

cute geoge wrote: »
    22 foot should cover u and no need for back rail , the most important thing make sure its tandem axle

And that its plated with axle weights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

what would a 28ft trailer take in the bottom row. saw a few nice ones. They would be great machines to widen gaps id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Is their a legal limit to the width of th trailer as 9 foot seems very wide, just curious as I`m thinking of buying one myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

f140 wrote: »
    what would a 28ft trailer take in the bottom row. saw a few nice ones. They would be great machines to widen gaps id say

14 4x4s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

f140 wrote: »

12 modern 4*4's wouldn't have a hope of getting 14 on it.

26ft here and the 6th bale hangs out over back, and the 31ft is tight enough to get 7 along it.

Also think legal limit is technically 8ft 2or4in....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

The Cuban wrote: »
    Is their a legal limit to the width of th trailer as 9 foot seems very wide, just curious as I`m thinking of buying one myself

Artics are 8ft 2.5inch and you can legally have an overhang each side,think its about a foot overall

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

27 FT HERE brings 12 on the flat comfortable ,no bother getting in .Twin axle positioned correctly.
    8ft wide is plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

massive difference in sizes of 4x4 bales. And its not always relaed to amount of grass or straw in the bale. The mchale balers make nice small bale with lots in it close to a real 4' bale. Class 250 i reckon is 4'6 bale. deutz and nh bales are all smallish.
    i have a 33' trailer and i can get 14 on bottom at a squeeze and some times i can get 16 on nicely depending on baler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

24ft here and it takes 10 comfortably on the bottom with a good bit to spare. I'd say 22ft would do. 24ft can take 12 hay/stray bales with a bit of a squeeze. 8ft wide is plenty I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Why make sure of it being s tandam axle george

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

22' by 8' single axle is a very handy useful trailer for any farmer. Wide tyres and correctly positioned axle. Racks made in a way you can take an extra row of hay or straw on top. I carry 14 bales of silage and 22 bales of straw on mine. Unless you are going a very long draw I think it's plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

8ft 2 legal limit I have a trailer here for small square bales built on double axle double transit wheels carries 8round bales it's 21ft by 8ft 2

No one is giving what the benefit of a tandem axle trailer is. i can get a single axle trailer for 4.500e a tandem is a grand extra for same lenght trailer from the same maker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

lab man wrote: »
    No one is giving what the benefit of a tandem axle trailer is. i can get a single axle trailer for 4.500e a tandem is a grand extra for same lenght trailer from the same maker

Smoother ride on the road,

less weight on the back of the tractor so less bouncing about,

easier on the field as the load is shared over more axles(the small exception is that there will be a small amount of scuffing when turning, but to be honest its negligible, just dont turn real sharp in a wet feild loaded to the hilt.)

more stable when you hit a pot hole or the likes as only one axle will drop into it(unless its a crater rather than pothole)

smoother over speed ramps if you have to deal with them

Because of the way the 2 axles will be positioned for balance it should actually leave it a little bit handier getting in around a tighter yard, downside to that being there can be a touch more tail swing.

I'm saying all this from experience, 26ft single axle here for years and in 2010 we converted an artic into 30ft tandem, the 30ft will pretty much go anywere the 26 will and its the trailer you would go for every time as it's just a nicer pull with the tandems.
    As soon as money allows we want to get rid of 26 footer and it is being replaced with a 24ft tandem with high racks back and front, it'll carry the same load as the 26 at 2rows on top, and more if we put single 3rd row on.

thanks zr, with money being tight i was thinking of the single axle option

thanks zr, with money being tight i was thinking of the single axle option

How much work have you got for it?

will, i do about 1200 bales and this year a few fellas want me to do contract bales for them so that they can just graze all their land and i supply them with bales at a price

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

will, i do about 1200 bales and this year a few fellas want me to do contract bales for them so that they can just graze all their land and i supply them with bales at a price

How much per bale? and is there a premium price for better quality bales?

Tis a good idea contract bales!

• Advertisement

hi elle, depends on the land rent but this year is different thank god the entitlements are gone now you can get land at the true value anddont have to give the entitlement money back to the said farmer by the fire laughing his ass off twas a joke imo but anyway 22/ 25 off the field

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

hi elle, depends on the land rent but this year is different thank god the entitlements are gone now you can get land at the true value anddont have to give the entitlement money back to the said farmer by the fire laughing his ass off twas a joke imo but anyway 22/ 25 off the field

Thats not bad alright

I bought a single axle 23 foot with extra wide tyres 2 year ago. I'm very happy with it. But I'm only a small farmer! I between silage hay and straw I'd draw 600 bales a year and it does me perfectly. But most lads contracting and that round here would use 28 double axle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 northdub14

the rsa is suppose to be bringing in new regulations for agricultural trailers in june, not sure but it could spell the end of road for cut down artic trailers...

northdub14 wrote: »
    the rsa is suppose to be bringing in new regulations for agricultural trailers in june, not sure but it could spell the end of road for cut down artic trailers...

How do you mean northdub

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

northdub14 wrote: »

I think most of them regulations will be for new manufactured trailers from that date. Be hard to take every trailer off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 23 northdub14

How do you mean northdub

newly manufactured trailers are all ce plated and axle weights stamped on them, whereas an cut down artic trailer isn't, some of the bale trailers advertised are ex artic, and very well converted just wont be plated, the traffic guards around here is gone to town on axle weights, so a single axle trailer could be over weight with 14 bales of silage if they were near the ton, its gone stupid altogether.......

Advertisement