Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chicken a day

Options
  • 17-03-2014 12:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

If say you were eating a whole chicken a day for protein purposes and wanted to cut costs a bit would it
    (a) be legal to buy them straight from the farmer in bundles of 14 or whatever
    (b) work out any cheaper than tesco bought
    (c) involve a lot more prep work?
    Theres alot of fitness people out there Im sure have asked this question sometime or another.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

jane82 wrote: »
    If say you were eating a whole chicken a day for protein purposes and wanted to cut costs a bit would it
    (a) be legal to buy them straight from the farmer in bundles of 14 or whatever
    (b) work out any cheaper than tesco bought
    (c) involve a lot more prep work?
    Theres alot of fitness people out there Im sure have asked this question sometime or another.

I reckon it couldn't be any cheaper than buying them off the shelf in dunnes or tesco . TBH they are practically being sold for cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Is there more prep work if they're bought from the farmer compared to Tesco ??

I could point out they are a living bird with feathers and stuff so, yes, a little more prep work involved compared to popping into Tesco and just opening the packet...

The birds your getting off the shelf in Tesco is the cheapest you'll get without rearing your own birds... I've been told that many poultry farmers now don't own the birds in their sheds but rather they are supplied by the companies... not sure how true this is or how wide scale.

Chicken a day, wow, it could get tiresome. I know some lads who were in diggs in college and got chicken dinners 5 days a week, they left after 2 months as they couldn't stick the chicken any longer..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

bbam wrote: »
    Is there more prep work if they're bought from the farmer compared to Tesco ??

I could point out they are a living bird with feathers and stuff so, yes, a little more prep work involved compared to popping into Tesco and just opening the packet...

The birds your getting off the shelf in Tesco is the cheapest you'll get without rearing your own birds... I've been told that many poultry farmers now don't own the birds in their sheds but rather they are supplied by the companies... not sure how true this is or how wide scale.

Chicken a day, wow, it could get tiresome. I know some lads who were in diggs in college and got chicken dinners 5 days a week, they left after 2 months as they couldn't stick the chicken any longer..

Curry soup fried grilled stir fry etc etc. Theres very few meals out there that a chicken wont go into fine.
    But thanks for that. I just always had a dream of buying a cut up cow and seeing how fast I could eat it. If the chicken plan worked out Id have probably tried it.

Advertisement