Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chain broken any tips?

Options
  • 17-03-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,
    I had to change my tube yesterday and after I put my wheel back on my chain won't go on my bike properly?
    Any tips on what I might have done wrong after I put the wheel back on?
    thanks lads its wrecking my head

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Need more info on the problem.

Is chain chain intact? If so, have you clicked your gear changer down so that the rear derailleur is I'll line with the smallest cog at the rear (easier to slide the rear wheel in). Also, have the chain on the small cog at the front, it gives a bit more slack in the chain. Then think about the path the chain takes when the wheel is on, you need to slip the wheel in so that the chain follows that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stick a pick up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it a geared bike or a single speed?

Did you 'break' the chain (i.e. has it a quick link) or did you remove the wheel with the chain it intact?

More info or pics required.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Cheers for all the replys lads. Il try and throw up some pics later

A few pictures here of chain. Camera not great so dont know If any good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

A few pictures here of chain. Camera not great so dont know If any good

Rear sprockets are supposed to be in between top and bottom of chain. Remove wheel and make sure top of chain is sitting on top of smallest sprocket when replacing. Click your lever until derailleur moves out to align with smallest sprocket. Ie as if you were engaging the 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ragazzo wrote: »
    Rear sprockets are supposed to be in between top and bottom of chain. Remove wheel and make sure top of chain is sitting on top of smallest sprocket when replacing. Click your lever until derailleur moves out to align with smallest sprocket. Ie as if you were engaging the 11.

What he/she said.

Grab the lower part of the chain at the rear and drag it down and back, giving you a large hole to put the small rear cog in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your chain set looks a bit neglected. Lots of surface rust visible. I'd say you'd benefit from more frequent lubrication.

I know that's not the answer to your question but it's just an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

crosstownk wrote: »
    Your chain set looks a bit neglected. Lots of surface rust visible. I'd say you'd benefit from more frequent lubrication.

Yard could do with a bit of a sweep too.

Raam wrote: »

I only saw the bike........

• Advertisement

You are right I have being meaning to get the wb40 out just no chance with two kids hanging off me :)

Raam wrote: »
    Not my yard smartarse its in a shed :0

I wouldn't use WD40. It just attracts dirt. Get some proper chain lube. It's worth it and only takes a few minutes to clean and relube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You are right I have being meaning to get the wb40 out just no chance with two kids hanging off me :)

Don't use WD40, that washes any lube out of the chain. Use 3 in 1 light oil or similar. A light oiling on the top of the lower section of chain once a week or so while rotating the pedals backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Your chain set looks a bit neglected..
    ...and the cassette could do with a polish!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Doubt if an alloy chainset is rusting but the rusty chain is certainly leaving its mark on the big ring.
    Lube the chain regularly as the lads have already advised but definitely give it some attention when it starts squealing at you.
    A quick clean/lube every week will keep it rolling nicely.
    Some of the posters are very bike proud (rightly so, too) and any traces of dirt/rust etc horrifies them. All bikes should be treated with respect but sometimes this is not possible.

Did you get the wheel sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Looks to me like you've run the chain incorrectly around the rear cassette. As others have posted, chain looks neglected. This will cause the chain to be less mobile around the links - these need to move freely and will improve the action. clean and relube it an you'll notice a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

An old sock. A great yoke for cleaning your chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Not my yard smartarse its in a shed :0

Looks like your shed could do with a sweep smartarse :P

Lads,cheers for all the help I get It sorted eventually.
    I am going to clean the chain and some lubricate for it as well. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Lubricant recommendations: use some! That's the most important thing.

As a rule of thumb, the lighter the lube, the more often you'll need to use it. Don't use something like WD40, as others have said, unless it's so heavily rusted nothing else will mobilise it, and even then, wipe if off and use something with a bit of viscosity. (Or chuck it in the bin and buy a new one, more like.) Something like 3-in-1 or generic "bike oil" that your FNBS will sell you is fine for most purposes. If you go lighter, make sure you're especially conscientious about re-lubing, as it'll "disappear" that bit quicker. If you go heavier, be aware that while it might stay techically lubed for longer, but it's picking up dirt all the while, so you'll still eventually have to clean it anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lads,cheers for all the help I get It sorted eventually.
    I am going to clean the chain and some lubricate for it as well. Any recommendations?

Any 3-in-1 or chain oil sold in a bike shop, or halfords, will be fine. You don't need to be too generous with it, too much is almost as bad as too little. Apply it with a rag all the way along the side of the chain that touches the cogs. After a minute, wipe away the excess with a clean part of the rag. There should be just a small film covering all of the rollers in the chain. Doing that regularly will greatly increase the life span of the chain and make your cycle easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

W5 chain cleaner on offer with motorcycle gear in Lidl since last Thursday. Great for cleaning gunk off chains. Be aware that the gunk runs right off the chain/cassette, so don't do it in the living room.

Thanks lads I will give it a go in a few days

Advertisement