Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

femoral acetabular impingement syndrom.

Options
  • 16-03-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

After a lot of visits to physios etc and no let up on pain I was told to investigate FAI syndrome. Seems as tho I have pretty much all thr symptoms.

Going to have to organise Mri etc. Just wondering if anyone has suffered this before? What was the prognosis? What was your treatment?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I was diagnosed with CAM impingement a couple of weeks ago, I have been having groin / hip / thigh pain for 6 months. Diagnosis is via X-Ray and MRI arthogram, where contrast dye gets injected into your hip before the scan, so that the MRI image is then a lot clearer. MRI is pretty much the golden standard for diagnosis, though you can also see some evidence of FAI on plain x-rays.

Once your have this diagnosis, it will be down to how much discomfort you are in. If your pain is pretty low and it's not effecting your quaity of life, then I think that most doctors are slow to operate, and will prescribe painkillers and lifestyle changes. If on the other hand you are in major discomfort, and / or wish to get back to doing sports, etc, then an operation is the way forward. I'm going to have surgery myself within the next months. There are two variants, one is a classical open surgery, the other being keyhole hip arthoscopy, the latter having a much faster recovery time.

With either method the prognosis is usually very good, with nearly all patients reporting a major improvement. I have appointments with 2 different surgeons in May / June, and will then decide on which method will work best for me afterwards.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lenka83

Hello guys,
    Can you do follow up on this. How was the operation? How do you feel now? Who was your Doctor?

I do go for MRA adn will see from there.
    I did a decompression of the hip joint and it helped with a pain.

Btw If anyone in Dublin area is diagnosed with FAI please contact me here I like to ask some questions.

Thanks L.

Advertisement