Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a decent starter wheel

Options
  • 16-03-2014 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

I've been playing more and more racing sims recently and playing Nascar 14 last night, the 360 controller just doesn't cut it any more. Can you guys recommend a good wheel and pedal set for a starting point? Its going to be used primarily on PC, PS3/PS4 compatibility is a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've been playing more and more racing sims recently and playing Nascar 14 last night, the 360 controller just doesn't cut it any more. Can you guys recommend a good wheel and pedal set for a starting point? Its going to be used primarily on PC, PS3/PS4 compatibility is a bonus.
    The G27 seems like the best starter solution out there for the price. I haven't used one myself but the general consensus is good from what I've seen online.

The next step up would probably be fanatec stuff, it works out more expensive because all the parts are separate, So you'd have to buy a wheel, then pedals, then a shifter. I got the forza csr with the csr elite pedals and csr shifter set. Don't get the shifter set off them, it's pretty rubbish. The advantage of doing it that way is you can upgrade all those parts separately as you please.

The G27 is probably near on a par with the forza wheel and as it's a more popular item that's sold in shops you can get good deals on them. I think the only people who sell fanatec stuff is fanatec themselves. Don't be fooled by the German home base either, it's all made in China.

If you're in it for the long haul fanatec gives you more upgrade options, most people find the limitations of basic pedal sets pretty quickly. If you just want a good wheel for now the G27 is hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ScumLord wrote: »
    The G27 seems like the best starter solution out there for the price. I haven't used one myself but the general consensus is good from what I've seen online.

The next step up would probably be fanatec stuff, it works out more expensive because all the parts are separate, So you'd have to buy a wheel, then pedals, then a shifter. I got the forza csr with the csr elite pedals and csr shifter set. Don't get the shifter set off them, it's pretty rubbish. The advantage of doing it that way is you can upgrade all those parts separately as you please.

The G27 is probably near on a par with the forza wheel and as it's a more popular item that's sold in shops you can get good deals on them. I think the only people who sell fanatec stuff is fanatec themselves. Don't be fooled by the German home base either, it's all made in China.

If you're in it for the long haul fanatec gives you more upgrade options, most people find the limitations of basic pedal sets pretty quickly. If you just want a good wheel for now the G27 is hard to beat.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to have a look online and try to pick one up at the end of the month. I may even go back to grand prix 4 when I pick it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The G27 would be my choice.

I had a g25 for a while playing GT5 and it was excellent.

If you don't have a racing seat you could look at the wheelstand pro for a starter setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

I would start out with something like a logitech driving force GT, they can be picked up cheaply 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, my vote goes for G27. Its a bit pricy as a Starter wheel, but god it is good. My one got delivered 2 days ago and I got it brand new for 134£ with free delivery. ( got really lucky with a deal posted on Boards.ie )

The good thing about G27 is that a lot games take it as a default, similar to all PC games using 360 controller as default. As mentioned above - You can interchange separate parts later on with more advanced components from Fanatec etc. If you want ofcourse, but even I decided to stay with g27 for now as its just great.

If you cant get one brand new, then get one second hand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement