Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting Road tyre

Options
  • 16-03-2014 6:36pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I currently have a set of these on my single speed:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vittoria-rubino-road-bike-tyre/rp-prod31768

It's the second set i've had, and i have found them great, however now that my mileage has increased a lot I'm concerned with punctures. Just did an inspection of my tyres, and although they've been puncture free, there are some sizable chunks missing from the tyre after 650km Dublin commuting. So I want to invest in some better rubber.

I've had gatorskins in the past, and didn't like them for their poor wet performance, so I'm interested in other options.

I was considering the Vittoria Pro Road as an option.

I'm cycling in and around 500km a month, and that's without the inevitable weekend spins that will come into play as we come into nicer weather, so hard wearing is something I'd need!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

I like gp4000 seasons. They come in up to 28mm width and I've had a pair for 3000km with no punctures so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Durano Plus

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd be looking for 23 wide tyres, cheers for the suggestions lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

I'd reckon the GP4 seasons are a good option just bought a pair myself for winter bike. Seem to be a good mix of comfort grip and durability. Bit pricier but you can get them from germany for €33 or so if you're getting enough to justify postage.

Continental gp4000s's are nearly as puncture proof but won't last as long I've still got 5,000 km+ on a pair with only one puncture in the rear near the end. They can get a bit cut up but the 4 seasons should be more resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'd be looking for 23 wide tyres, cheers for the suggestions lads.
    I use the Continental GP 4000s for commuting and general riding. This tyre is an excellent ballance between comfort, grip, rolling resistance, weight, puncture resistance and importantly, durability. Even the rear tyre lasts 8k km, the front one good bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

+1 for the Continental GP 4000s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Panaracer Pasela. Great tyre, been using them for years and better than the Schwalbe Marathon and the Gatorskin in my humble opinion.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/panaracer-pasela-pt-road-tyre/rp-prod53957

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers guys, decided I'd give the GP4000s a go, since I've heard a lot of good things on here over the years. Here's hoping they live up to my expectations!

Cheers guys, decided I'd give the GP4000s a go, since I've heard a lot of good things on here over the years. Here's hoping they live up to my expectations!

I still haven't actually fitted these...I almost feel like I'll jinx myself if i do! I have over 1000km on my current set, might just roll with them for another couple of thousand and then change...I like to live dangerously:pac:

Advertisement