Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong oil in vacuum pump on slurry tanker

Options
  • 16-03-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I topped up the oil in the vacuum pumop with what I thought was vacuum pump oil but realised too late that it was darker than what I was used to seeing, I'm thinking that it must have been engine oil in the can for some reason!

I haven't run it but have added about a cup. any thoughts if it would be ok to just drain this out, or will it be a bigger job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

I've used both in our abbey tanker, should be fine for just just the one go.
    AFAIK it'll run abit hotter so just keep an eye on the level and top it up as you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

jj92 wrote: »
    I topped up the oil in the vacuum pumop with what I thought was vacuum pump oil but realised too late that it was darker than what I was used to seeing, I'm thinking that it must have been engine oil in the can for some reason!

I haven't run it but have added about a cup. any thoughts if it would be ok to just drain this out, or will it be a bigger job?

They recommend engine oil these days so no worried Spread away mad!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

I've used both in our abbey tanker, should be fine for just just the one go.
    AFAIK it'll run abit hotter so just keep an eye on the level and top it up as you go

They recommend engine oil these days so no worried Spread away mad!!!!

Good to hear, I'm surprised by that, I didn't fancy opening it up to clean it out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

it would be a lot worse if there was no oil in it. belt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As Neil Tobin used to say, in a skit about a "blue van"

Q. Does she burn oil, Joe?

A. She would if she got it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    As Neil Tobin used to say, in a skit about a "blue van"

Q. Does she burn oil, Joe?

A. She would if she got it!

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

A couple of contractors I left messages with got back to me, diesel engine oil all the way seems to the the rage nowadays.

One fella was saying to keep the oil filled to the top for when you're on a hill and risk having the pump run dry with the oil going to one end, and to also have the oil drip drip more a steady flow.

Advertisement