Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marching band parade.

Options
  • 16-03-2014 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Is anyone down town at this? Have to say I'm enjoying it, especially the spanish band. They got great cheers all the way up the city.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Had a look at it with the wife and little man. He was enjoying it for a bit, then all the noise was a bit much, so we went down to Arthurs Quay Park. Then the CBS band followed us in. Then another one (could have been spanish). I was hoping for a choreographed dance war, but they just kinds stopped. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

MarkR wrote: »
    Had a look at it with the wife and little man. He was enjoying it for a bit, then all the noise was a bit much, so we went down to Arthurs Quay Park. Then the CBS band followed us in. Then another one (could have been spanish). I was hoping for a choreographed dance war, but they just kinds stopped. :(

I was hoping they would have a band-off because it got very busy around that time. Ultimately I ended up being dragged into penneys by the other half for a 'quick look'. It only finished up 30mins ago or so and it was bloody cold at that point.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Had a brilliant time at it with my son. I was worried the noise might be a bit much for him but he just loved it and spent the whole time running and dancing about in his green dino suit.

iguana wrote: »
    Had a brilliant time at it with my son. I was worried the noise might be a bit much for him but he just loved it and spent the whole time running and dancing about in his green dino suit.

I saw him :D of course the gf was oooohing and aaaahing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Great band parade. Started on time and some great bands. Well done to organisers. Looking forward to tomorrow parade.

• Advertisement

Todays parade just didn't grab me. Made worse by the fact that i couldn't look left or right with lout feeling like I belong on some watch list. Some things these young ones go out in :S

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Today's was so boring we left early. I've never really enjoyed the parade on the 17th, huge amounts of it is just people walking with no float or costumes or music. I thought this year might be different because of the City of Culture money. I was wrong. I honestly believe they just let anyone who wants to be in it join up so they can claim to have the second largest parade in the country. I'd prefer a small interesting parade to a really big one of intermittent interest.

iguana wrote: »
    Today's was so boring we left early. I've never really enjoyed the parade on the 17th, huge amounts of it is just people walking with no float or costumes or music. I thought this year might be different because of the City of Culture money. I was wrong. I honestly believe they just let anyone who wants to be in it join up so they can claim to have the second largest parade in the country. I'd prefer a small interesting parade to a really big one of intermittent interest.

It irks me that you can just drive a party bus up the street for a parade :| pick a theme and maybe a company could sponsor a float.

I just walked away when they announced 'and go to aerlingus.com for more information on low cost flights' or something to that effect.

What annoys me is that I live in Rosbrien and every year there's an invasion of idiots looking for a parking place. A couple of years back the father of one family was even so thoughtful that he urinated up against a wall after coming back from the parade in full view of all the houses all around. Mummy and Junior waited by the car for him while he relieved himself. You'd swear it was the last parade ever with the chaos that ensues. Good riddance and at least it's over for the year.

What annoys me is that I live in Rosbrien and every year there's an invasion of idiots looking for a parking place. A couple of years back the father of one family was even so thoughtful that he urinated up against a wall after coming back from the parade in full view of all the houses all around. Mummy and Junior waited by the car for him while he relieved himself. You'd swear it was the last parade ever with the chaos that ensues. Good riddance and at least it's over for the year.

Had one of these idiots walk out of Charlie Malones not 20minutes ago. Whipped it out in front of an old woman walking her dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,729 ✭✭✭✭phog

Firstly I enjoy the parades and think we do reasonably good job on showing off the city during both parades.

Obviously there's chaos due to the streets from Punches Cross right through to Mary St and connecting side streets being closed. It really isn't possible to run events like yesterday our today without the closure of streets.

I've seen supporters leaving Thomond Park, Croke Park, Gaelic Grounds, etc urinating on the streets should we put a blanket ban on public gatherings.

Advertisement