Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor South Africa

Options
  • 16-03-2014 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭

For any survivor fans looking for a fresh fix, look out for Survivor South Africa Season 5, currently airing in South Africa (up to episode 8 or 9 now).

It has the same production values as the US version and the same familiar structure we are used to (reward challenges, immunity challenges, immunity idols and tribal councils).

The differences are that each tribe is mentored by a famous SA sports star, the episodes are over an hour long each and the challenges are much more gruelling...

Gotta love the "Seth Efrican" accent too. :)

Worth a look....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I caught up with this last week. Really good, but I wish Probst could present this one too... :(

I'm definitely rooting for the
    Rugrats
    alliance

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The double tribal episode was great - in the first one, using the
    flint
    as an immunity idol was clever (even though it wasn't necessary), and
    Shona
    really screwed herself with the
    idol theft
    . Great TV. :)

Will be interesting to see what happens next week
    when they merge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Ye a lot of Survivor seasons from other countries can be found online. Some are crap but others are pretty decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I find it to be in desperate need of editing, it takes forever for them to get to tribal council, two hour episodes before someone leaves?!

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    I find it to be in desperate need of editing, it takes forever for them to get to tribal council, two hour episodes before someone leaves?!

That was just for the premiere. From episode 3 onwards, the format is the same as the US version.

The pacing is still driving me mad but I actually was really impressed at the tribal council where he used the tribe's flint as a makeshift immunity idol. Haven't seen that done before.

The pacing is still driving me mad but I actually was really impressed at the tribal council where he used the tribe's flint as a makeshift immunity idol. Haven't seen that done before.

Shame he didn't follow through and save his ass though.

Shame he didn't follow through and save his ass though.

Well he wanted to go home so I guess he succeeded? He just didn't want them to vote for Buhle

Well he wanted to go home so I guess he succeeded? He just didn't want them to vote for Buhle

Oh yeah, forgot that he wanted to go...

Episode 10 sucks by the way, first 14 minutes are so are re-cap, as are the last 5 minutes, and nothing majorly important happens in between apart from
    the fact that they merge, which was dull and uneventful

Otherwise a pointless episode

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thanks for the tip, going to grab a few of these. Would you recommend series 1-4 or are they too old now?

Remember RTE did a version of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island_%28show%29

It was pretty funny iirc, a guy got caught trying to bribe the film crew with 20 Euro he found in his jeans.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, going to grab a few of these. Would you recommend series 1-4 or are they too old now?

Remember RTE did a version of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treasure_Island_%28show%29

It was pretty funny iirc, a guy got caught trying to bribe the film crew with 20 Euro he found in his jeans.

I liked that show, it was poorly produced but I am a sucker for those kinds of shows! Even recorded the episodes (well most of them) on VHS :pac:

Remember in the 2nd season when the two finalists from one of the teams went on a naked walk to the other team ? :D

No, I only found out there had been a second season when I googled for that wiki link today. I dont know how it passed me by either because Im addicted to this stuff aswell since the first Survivor. Ill never find a torrent of it and RTE will never repeat or stream it either :(

"Treasure Island: Extreme was hosted by model Jacqui Rickards and was more "extreme" than past Treasure Islands pitting ex-police, SAS, armed forces and soldiers against each other with no food, water or shelter at all. The winner of this season was John "Horse" McLeod. Notably, when the SAS contestant Baz Rice was eliminated from the game he refused to leave and instead hid in the jungle. Because of previous threats made to rival contestants, a security warning was issued to other competitors. He eventually returned from the jungle and left the island."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thargor wrote: »
    No, I only found out there had been a second season when I googled for that wiki link today. I dont know how it passed me by either because Im addicted to this stuff aswell since the first Survivor. Ill never find a torrent of it and RTE will never repeat or stream it either :(

If I find the tapes (and manage to put them on to a dvd) I'll upload them to youtube, the quality will be bad and I don't have all of them but I will do my best :)

Another show I liked was 'jailbreak':
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jailbreak_(TV_series)

Nice one if you do, why dont these production companies ever have shops on their websites for past shows? It doesnt cost more than a few Euro to have DVDs professionally printed these days, so many shows Id love to see again but are probably lost forever now unless Challenge or Dave or someone picks them up.

I remember Jailbreak alright, I think the guy who won most of the money was the first to make a break for it, he kind of stole the group plan and did it all himself in the middle of the day iirc. Also, a massive guy was disqualified because he just kicked the lock of a door and escaped instead of solving the puzzles or carrying out a plan.

Advertisement