Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pregnancy and Baby Fair in RDS?

Options
  • 16-03-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to this before care to share if it's any good? Managed to get two free tickets and thought it might be a nice day out. We have most of the big stuff bought but I'm always in the market for some freebies and thought, since we don't have to buy tickets, that it might be a bit of craic for us!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Anyone been to this before care to share if it's any good? Managed to get two free tickets and thought it might be a nice day out. We have most of the big stuff bought but I'm always in the market for some freebies and thought, since we don't have to buy tickets, that it might be a bit of craic for us!

It might be good if you don't have travel systemas you could compare different ones under the same roof. Shashabear will you still be pregnant? Walking around the rds may be the last thing you want to do. Plus i bet loads and loads of people will be there with their big prams and it will be sooo annoying trying to go to stands. I was in Dundrum the other morning and I swear I have never seen so many under one roof ! And the mothers would walk side by side and take up full aisles!! I have never been to the rds show. I don't think photos look great from last year bar baby elegance and ikea (but you could just go to these anyway if you were in dublin!). They also will have deals on the day if you buy there and then (maybe 10% I reckon).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Millem wrote: »
    It might be good if you don't have travel systemas you could compare different ones under the same roof. Shashabear will you still be pregnant? Walking around the rds may be the last thing you want to do. Plus i bet loads and loads of people will be there with their big prams and it will be sooo annoying trying to go to stands. I was in Dundrum the other morning and I swear I have never seen so many under one roof ! And the mothers would walk side by side and take up full aisles!! I have never been to the rds show. I don't think photos look great from last year bar baby elegance and ikea (but you could just go to these anyway if you were in dublin!). They also will have deals on the day if you buy there and then (maybe 10% I reckon).

Ill never walk around Ikea again as long as I live haha, we really want a few nursery things they have and it would be handy to catch them there! Yeah ill be about 27 weeks at that stage so it might be hard to walk about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Free tickets for that fair if you register at SMA website. :)

Shashabear I doubt you'd have problems walking at 27 weeks?! Unlikely unless you have any condition like SPD or hyperemsis etc. I know that for me walking was the best thing in the world in late pregnancy, like at 40+ weeks! Seems crazy to be ruling it out so soon!

Ill never walk around Ikea again as long as I live haha, we really want a few nursery things they have and it would be handy to catch them there! Yeah ill be about 27 weeks at that stage so it might be hard to walk about

27 weeks will be grand I thought you might be heavily pregnant! I doubt you will be able to buy from ikea there they will probably just have their stuff on display?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We went to one about 4 years ago , it was pretty useless but it might have got better .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We went to the RDS one in 2012. Think I was around 12 weeks at the time. Thought it was pretty crap tbh and a waste of money (that we paid for tickets). But if you got ur tickets free and aren't doing anything else that day it might be a day out for ye....

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We went to the RDS one in 2012. Think I was around 12 weeks at the time. Thought it was pretty crap tbh and a waste of money (that we paid for tickets). But if you got ur tickets free and aren't doing anything else that day it might be a day out for ye....

I might get himself to take me. If it ends up being awful Ill convince Him we should go to Blanch :P

I might get himself to take me. If it ends up being awful Ill convince Him we should go to Blanch :P

Well that's it. I wasn't able to go horse riding or trekking with our huskies so I was like.... Come on we go to the baby fair.... JOY!!! Lol. If it isn't any good get himself to buy you something nice in blanch. Lol.

Well that's it. I wasn't able to go horse riding or trekking with our huskies so I was like.... Come on we go to the baby fair.... JOY!!! Lol. If it isn't any good get himself to buy you something nice in blanch. Lol.

I was just discussing with him that I need a 2/3DS to keep me occupied when I'm bed-ridden from 30 weeks. Yes ladies, he thinks pregnant women can't walk unaided after 30 weeks and I ain't telling him different :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I was just discussing with him that I need a 2/3DS to keep me occupied when I'm bed-ridden from 30 weeks. Yes ladies, he thinks pregnant women can't walk unaided after 30 weeks and I ain't telling him different :p

Seriously, however tempting, unless recommended by your doctor don't switch off/take to the bed for the last 10 weeks of your pregnancy. I was told to take it very easy for a few weeks and was signed off around 31 weeks. Nearly drove me demented. Thankfully got the okay to go about business as usual around 35 weeks again and went back to moderate walking and Pilates etc. the last few weeks of pregnancy seem REALLY, REALLY long anyway without being stuck to the couch or the bed. Plus keeping mobile definitely helps with labour. Apologies if it's all stuff you already know!! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »
    Seriously, however tempting, unless recommended by your doctor don't switch off/take to the bed for the last 10 weeks of your pregnancy. I was told to take it very easy for a few weeks and was signed off around 31 weeks. Nearly drove me demented. Thankfully got the okay to go about business as usual around 35 weeks again and went back to moderate walking and Pilates etc. the last few weeks of pregnancy seem REALLY, REALLY long anyway without being stuck to the couch or the bed. Plus keeping mobile definitely helps with labour. Apologies if it's all stuff you already know!! Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Oh I have no intention of staying in bed, but if he thinks I have to then he doesn't expect me to do the housework :P
    Realistically he knows right well I just want a new toy as a reward for brewing a baby, we just like to make it sound like a necessary purchase ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I got a kindle paperwhite. Handy distraction for the last few weeks of pregnancy when sleep didn't come too easily and didn't want to be disturbing himself with the lamp on. Found it very useful during the night feeds too.
    As for the housework, OH took over the mopping and hoovering completely from very early on(and still does it, yay!). The other stuff never bothered me.

Roesy wrote: »
    I got a kindle paperwhite. Handy distraction for the last few weeks of pregnancy when sleep didn't come too easily and didn't want to be disturbing himself with the lamp on. Found it very useful during the night feeds too.
    As for the housework, OH took over the mopping and hoovering completely from very early on(and still does it, yay!). The other stuff never bothered me.

We're a bit unfortunate in that himself works mostly 16 hour days and I'm still in college (final year) so no-one is home till 6 at the earliest, and we're always knackered. I feel bad getting him to do housework and he feels bad getting me to do it :o
    I'm well fit so far, only problem I have is hoovering tires me out quickly, so that's a standalone chore. If I do that, I won't be doing anything else :o

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I downloaded some free tickets for this show too but I'm not sure if I'll bother going; I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how people found it in previous years. If there are a few freebies on offer I might head along. I'm the opposite of ShaSha, we've nothing bought yet and I'm 29 weeks now, but was planning on only buying the absolute minimum before babs is here safely.

On the exercise versus resting issue, the further along I'm getting the more beneficial I'm finding light exercise. I had a very rough time up to 20 weeks so I'm loving getting out for walks and yoga now. It's hard during the week as I'm gone out of the house from 6am to 6pm so I'm going to try to get out for 20 minutes at lunchtime starting tomorrow, and then if I get a couple of longer walks a few evening and at weekends that should keep things limber! I'm finding sitting at a desk/in meetings for 10 hours a day (plus 2 hours on the bus) much more uncomfortable as the days pass, so I'm hoping this new resolution will help get me to maternity leave at 38 weeks in one piece!

I downloaded some free tickets for this show too but I'm not sure if I'll bother going; I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see how people found it in previous years. If there are a few freebies on offer I might head along. I'm the opposite of ShaSha, we've nothing bought yet and I'm 29 weeks now, but was planning on only buying the absolute minimum before babs is here safely.

On the exercise versus resting issue, the further along I'm getting the more beneficial I'm finding light exercise. I had a very rough time up to 20 weeks so I'm loving getting out for walks and yoga now. It's hard during the week as I'm gone out of the house from 6am to 6pm so I'm going to try to get out for 20 minutes at lunchtime starting tomorrow, and then if I get a couple of longer walks a few evening and at weekends that should keep things limber! I'm finding sitting at a desk/in meetings for 10 hours a day (plus 2 hours on the bus) much more uncomfortable as the days pass, so I'm hoping this new resolution will help get me to maternity leave at 38 weeks in one piece!

I know you definitely get a free baby towel if you go, that's from SMA themselves! It says goodie bags are given out on the day, and then there are discounts if you buy stuff there and then so it might be worth it to get a couple of quid off stuff you need. TBH I'm just thinking of going for the craic with Himself so we can have a day out shoving my bump in people's faces :pac:

I know you definitely get a free baby towel if you go, that's from SMA themselves! It says goodie bags are given out on the day, and then there are discounts if you buy stuff there and then so it might be worth it to get a couple of quid off stuff you need. TBH I'm just thinking of going for the craic with Himself so we can have a day out shoving my bump in people's faces :pac:

I would consider going myself as OH is soooo busy with work that week however I reckon the "buggy brigade" will there and they drive me crackers. I experienced them in Dundrum fri morn! Buggy brigade as I call them are mothers with "tractors" who walk side bu side having full blown chats while the take up the entire aisles and stop constantly and sometimes ram into you grrrrr. I swear it was like a bugaboo/uppababy convention in Dundrum. I have never experienced the like of it.

I would consider going myself as OH is soooo busy with work that week however I reckon the "buggy brigade" will there and they drive me crackers. I experienced them in Dundrum fri morn! Buggy brigade as I call them are mothers with "tractors" who walk side bu side having full blown chats while the take up the entire aisles and stop constantly and sometimes ram into you grrrrr. I swear it was like a bugaboo/uppababy convention in Dundrum. I have never experienced the like of it.

Lol... I also hate this!!!

Lol... I also hate this!!!

Ha ha I'm starting to think I'd prefer to spend a Sunday chilling out at home rather than facing the hassle of trying to find parking at the rds and dealing with the crowds!

From memory parking in the rds is €5 and I reckon the hooded towels are the smallish ones (like the freebies in eu mom bag), they cost €1.49 in dealz! I think it would only be good for ideas, even with discounts they offer you are probably cheaper buying online unless it is something that has a fixed price e.g. A bugaboo (which are literally the same price online and Instore) if they don't give you a discount haggle for free accessories! My haggling lasted a whole weekend on my travel system! Lol Contrary Mary I know what your saying about not getting much , I was the same but once I was past the 32ish mark I ordered everything (I was on bed rest so did it online!) and I am so glad I did! I was wrecked for the first three weeks and literally found it very sore to walk (which I never anticipated)!

From memory parking in the rds is €5 and I reckon the hooded towels are the smallish ones (like the freebies in eu mom bag), they cost €1.49 in dealz! I think it would only be good for ideas, even with discounts they offer you are probably cheaper buying online unless it is something that has a fixed price e.g. A bugaboo (which are literally the same price online and Instore) if they don't give you a discount haggle for free accessories! My haggling lasted a whole weekend on my travel system! Lol Contrary Mary I know what your saying about not getting much , I was the same but once I was past the 32ish mark I ordered everything (I was on bed rest so did it online!) and I am so glad I did! I was wrecked for the first three weeks and literally found it very sore to walk (which I never anticipated)!

Yeah we'll try to get the travel system ordered in the next few weeks as I know they can take a while to come in. Other than that I have a list of essentials and I'm either going to start buying them towards the end or else get my husband to pick them up when I'm in hospital! I'm naturally an organised person but this is one thing I feel uncomfortable with... it's a tough one.

• Advertisement

Yeah we'll try to get the travel system ordered in the next few weeks as I know they can take a while to come in. Other than that I have a list of essentials and I'm either going to start buying them towards the end or else get my husband to pick them up when I'm in hospital! I'm naturally an organised person but this is one thing I feel uncomfortable with... it's a tough one.

I totally know where you are coming from do whatever you are most comfortable with but just be prepared to not go shopping for a good 2-3 weeks. The midwives told me when you are out walking you bleed much more heavily too. I was in bits though I felt I had literally done a few rounds in the boxing ring (I had a normal delivery no forceps or episiotomy) I ordered my stuff and got them delivered to my parents' house as my mum is very superstitious. In relation to the travel system I got mine in tony kealys (he will be at the fare) I looked at them in the flesh at 21 weeks (after anomaly scan), they told us it could take 9 weeks for the one we wanted to come in depending on colours. They will keep you travel system for you in the shop (even if you have fully paid for it) if you don't want to have it in your house. I would highly recommend them, you actually only need to give them a small deposit e.g. €50 and you don't even need to pay the balance till you collect it.

I totally know where you are coming from do whatever you are most comfortable with but just be prepared to not go shopping for a good 2-3 weeks. The midwives told me when you are out walking you bleed much more heavily too. I was in bits though I felt I had literally done a few rounds in the boxing ring (I had a normal delivery no forceps or episiotomy) I ordered my stuff and got them delivered to my parents' house as my mum is very superstitious. In relation to the travel system I got mine in tony kealys (he will be at the fare) I looked at them in the flesh at 21 weeks (after anomaly scan), they told us it could take 9 weeks for the one we wanted to come in depending on colours. They will keep you travel system for you in the shop (even if you have fully paid for it) if you don't want to have it in your house. I would highly recommend them, you actually only need to give them a small deposit e.g. €50 and you don't even need to pay the balance till you collect it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do likewise and get a few bits delivered to my parents house and leave a detailed list with my OH for the rest. At the moment it's looking like a section for me so I'll be housebound afterwards BUT OH will have a few days to get out and pick up the last minute things, assemble the cot etc when I'm in hospital! I wouldn't want him to be bored!

I just need to get through the next 9ish weeks now, at least this is a 4-day week! Sorry for bringing the thread off topic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are any of you looking for tickets to it?

I can't go now as it happens, but by all accounts they are practically giving tickets away!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i am going. got free tickets through my mothers job, so bring her.

am looking to try out some slings. i have worked these kind of things for years, so it will great to just wander around.

am hoping the man with the multi-slicer will be there, we somehow managed to lose a vital piece of ours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

Hi All,

If anyone has any spare tickets would appreciate two for me and my OH.

Thanks
    Ali

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭waldo

If anybody has any spare digital tickets I'd appreciate them too. Had a problem printing mine yesterday and can't retrieve from the SMA website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Went today, they had some good offers. I was looking into the MAM bottles, which were discounted, so i got some. Also got our buggy ordered. Great to get ideas or for offers if you have a brand in mind

Went today, they had some good offers. I was looking into the MAM bottles, which were discounted, so i got some. Also got our buggy ordered. Great to get ideas or for offers if you have a brand in mind

Do u know if the buggies or buggy accessories are discounted at all? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Do u know if the buggies or buggy accessories are discounted at all? Thanks

Hi Sligo1, I don't think they were all discounted, but most had a discount or additonal accessory thrown in. I got the Phil and Ted's, which came with the double seat and raincover for the price of the standard single. Most sites that have that offer only have it on a colour they are finding hard to sell, but they had a choice at the fair. My MIL has offered to mind both my and her daughter's baby when we go back to work, and it will allow her to get out and about more easily with them.

Advertisement