Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bratislava

Options
  • 15-03-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Spending a bit of time there before heading on to Vienna.

Looking at going to the Slavin Memorial, Bratislava Castle & the Old town.
    Can anyone recommend any other stuff? I've read about Davin Castle as well, is it easy to get out to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Member 420 wrote: »
    Spending a bit of time there before heading on to Vienna.

Looking at going to the Slavin Memorial, Bratislava Castle & the Old town.
    Can anyone recommend any other stuff? I've read about Davin Castle as well, is it easy to get out to?
    Nice Old Town but small.
    Nothing else.
    People are the most rude, ignorant, miserable people Ive ever met and are resentful of tourists. I will never set foot in the kip again. Stay in Vienna.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We liked Bratislava, the old town is lovely, castle is interesting and the 'spaceship' bridge is worth a look. One to two days is loads there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Member 420

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Apart from visiting the Castle & Slavin, The Old town was the only place worth spending a decent amount of time. Stumbled across the Presidents residence during the changing of the guard too which was cool.

Jewish museum was a let down as I expected a lot more info on the treatment of Slovak Jews during the 30's & 40's. A lot of locals have questionable views regarding Jozef Tiso as well.

In Vienna atm, unbelievably Beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Can I just ask, for those who have been, can you pick up cheap clothes here? I know they do UK stores etc but are prices way cheaper than they would be here or in UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Bratislava is really only useful for the cheap airport to fly into when visiting Vienna....the city itself is probably the worst I have visited in Europe.
    Had a very uneasy feeling the entire time I was there and there is a gloomy vibe around the city.
    The train station in Bratislava is like a shanty town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Bratislava is really only useful for the cheap airport to fly into when visiting Vienna....the city itself is probably the worst I have visited in Europe.
    Had a very uneasy feeling the entire time I was there and there is a gloomy vibe around the city.
    The train station in Bratislava is like a shanty town.
    Exactly.
    Grade A kip.
    Id forgive it if the people were nice but they are not. Not a patch in other Central European former Soviet run cities like Prague, Budapest, Krakow, Poznan, Tallinn etc that Ive been to. Riga is a kip though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I travel to SK every year (9 years)but Bratislava is just a means of me going North to the Tatras mountains.
    Fantastic scenery, people are friendly and good food at a reasonable price.
    We're just back from our latest trip where we left the kids with the grandparents and had a few days in a 4* hotel in sight of the snow capped mountains.
    I've never stayed in Bratislava.

Advertisement