Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenticular clouds ahoy 15-03-2014

Options
  • 15-03-2014 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭

Seems to have been a huge amount of lenticular clouds about today over quite a stretch of the country.
    Seeing quite a few posts on my facebook from lads in different counties.

Was up Blackstairs Mountain myself and could see them from the Waterford coast stretching up into Wicklow, Tipp, Laois, Carlow and Wexford.

Took a quick and crappy 360 degree vid from the summit cairn, doesn't do the scene justice but hopefully it'll give an impression.

Any ideas on what caused the preponderance of them? I've seen plenty in my day but never so many or so geographically widespread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCMi9cxvlV8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Roen wrote: »
    Seems to have been a huge amount of lenticular clouds about today over quite a stretch of the country.

Was up Blackstairs Mountain myself and could see them from the Waterford coast stretching up into Wicklow, Tipp, Laois, Carlow and Wexford.]

Seen something similar today as well travelling down through Wicklow. Strange cloud formations that seemed to keep their shape and just drifted so slowly , remaining in the sky up to nightfall - took these few pics on my phone - anyone know how / why these form??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Saw them in Cork too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

Roen wrote: »

Was up Blackstairs Mountain myself and could see them from the Waterford coast stretching up into Wicklow, Tipp, Laois, Carlow and Wexford.

Took a quick and crappy 360 degree vid from the summit cairn, doesn't do the scene justice but hopefully it'll give an impression.

Any ideas on what caused the preponderance of them? I've seen plenty in my day but never so many or so geographically widespread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCMi9cxvlV8

They are associated with waves in the atmosphere that develop when relatively stable, fast moving air is forced up and over a mountain barrier that is oriented more or less perpendicular to the direction from which the upper-level wind is blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Thank you Bsal.

I usually see them in mountainous regions alright. In certain parts of the alps they herald a **** storm on the way.
    These formed on the windward side of where I was. There were a few also out at sea too though which threw me.

Great to see them whatever the reason and the sunset was amazing.

Thanks once more.

R.
    Bsal wrote: »
    They are associated with waves in the atmosphere that develop when relatively stable, fast moving air is forced up and over a mountain barrier that is oriented more or less perpendicular to the direction from which the upper-level wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

The first 2 images were taken c 1500 March 15th from just west of Youghal looking eastwards and the last 3 were taken at c 1800 from the east side of Youghal looking east towards Dungarvan. In fact later pictures of the same clouds were more or less over Dungarvan Bay downstream of the Knockmealdown Mountains.

Taken from moving car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I'm afraid I have no pics as i was driving but I was so stunned by the beautiful lenticular clouds in Leitrim/Cavan last evening that I thought they looked like nature on LSD. They were utterly gorgeous....when I got in home I was waxing lyrical to my husband about the beautiful full moon rising from behind a huge stack of bright pink lenticular clouds, and he said ''Tis far from lenticular clouds you were reared..'' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Here's my contribution. Over Sth Dublin/North Wicklow yesterday, 15th March. They aren't quite as defined as some I've seen but lentics none the less. I took the shot from North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Bsal

piuswal wrote: »
    The first 2 images were taken c 1500 March 15th from just west of Youghal looking eastwards and the last 3 were taken at c 1800 from the east side of Youghal looking east towards Dungarvan. In fact later pictures of the same clouds were more or less over Dungarvan Bay downstream of the Knockmealdown Mountains.

Taken from moving car.

Thats a UFO! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

1920152_540660859381371_197289569_n.jpg

and

10009277_540571206057003_629085580_n.jpg

South Laois yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I drove from Kilkenny up to Wicklow on Saturday and although I've seen them before was entranced by how beautiful they were. They really do look like flying saucers. We wove a story where the alien invaders dropped their cloudlike cloaking shields and revealed their battleships. There was one that could have been a Starship Enterprise.

Later driving into Gorey that evening there was one which ended up looking like a smoke ring in the dark first of all lit from the side by the full moon and then lit from within when the moon moved. I cursed only having an extremely crappy camera on my phone.

• Advertisement

Some more cloud images from March 15th between Youghal and Dungarvan.

I've seen some images loaded directly onto this page, can someone tell me how to do so? Thanks.

Just found out that I have uploaded the maximum number of files in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Just tried it but all images are too big!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

if you use tinypic as your image host, there is a drop down menu select 15" screen
    it will resize the image

More AL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

brilliant pix ^
    conditions looking perfect for lenticulars tomorrow, wed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

piuswal wrote: »
    More AL

You even got a couple of egret in one of the shots. Fair play!

Advertisement