Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of dust in your computer? Well I have a solution for you!

Options
  • 15-03-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

It is actually a 2 step solution since nothing in life is easy:(

Why does dust sneak into a computer? Dust is attracted to your computer because your computer has magnetic fields ie: hard drives, suction ie: intake fans, put 1 and 1 together and you have a dust collector; your computer. But there is a simple way to amend that and here are the 2 steps

1. Positive pressure inside your computer. Sounds a tad scary no? But relax, it is actually quite easily done with nothing but your fans and the case you have/pick. For every 1 outtake fan, you will need 2 INTAKE fans, this will simply increase the pressure inside your computer, forming an invisible dust barrier. Arrrr! A good starting point is to use a large front intake fan positioned at the bottom, front of your computer so that it blows air into the computer from the bottom (something like a 180mm+) and position one outtake fan at the back top of your computer, usually a 120mm-140mm fans ( we also have the PSU fan, and most modern cases will allow you to position it on the bottom, fan facing down ) This simple scenario gives us 1 intake and 2 out-fans, because even though the psu fan is an intake, it blows air out the back, so technically its a pseudo-out. We could add 2 more intake fans, one from the top and one on the side. That would be the optimal position guide, and it is best to position your aftermarket CPU cooler to blow air towards the back of the computer, towards the out-fan.

2. I can't stress this enough to my customers, dust screens. They are cheap, easy to clean and will save you on duster. Simply put them on the fan side where air is coming in, and you can use all those little black crimpy ties you have laying around from all your cables and whatnot you buy for your computer. Even ones from normal trash bags work. Just measure out the fan size, cut out the right screen size and make 4 tiny holes where the fan screw holes are and crimp it into place :) For the technically savvy, I know this will decrease your CFM but you can add another fan and it will level out, besides dust also decreases CFM AND proper air flow.

Notes = Some of you may have noticed I mentioned aftermarket CPU coolers, I think it is a good idea to purchase a simple CPU fan or AIO which you can change the airflow direction with (the fan) so you can point it towards the back of the case, the CPU fans that come stock with your CPU simply recycle the air you have in your case which is already warm, thus they do a sub par job of cooling your CPU. You can purchase a good CPU cooler for as little as 15-20 USD / 10-20 Quid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I'm not 100% with you on the Positive Pressure thing , It isn't that easy , youre computer will become dusty whatever happens. A few points would be that you cannot achieve positive pressure in a case with meshed surfaces or lots of openings.

Graphics Cards with Direct Exhaust Fans can counter the +P set up one is trying to create.

Getting this wrong can cause dead zones and increase the heat in your case , positive pressure is not going to give you as much cooling as a -P set up would.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭dyigirl4help

papu wrote: »
    I'm not 100% with you on the Positive Pressure thing , It isn't that easy , youre computer will become dusty whatever happens. A few points would be that you cannot achieve positive pressure in a case with meshed surfaces or lots of openings.

Graphics Cards with Direct Exhaust Fans can counter the +P set up one is trying to create.

Getting this wrong can cause dead zones and increase the heat in your case , positive pressure is not going to give you as much cooling as a -P set up would.
    I apologize for not clarifying a few things. I was should of mentioned a computer that is water cooled (cpu+ram+gpu+NB) with a 3-to-1 ratio of in to out fans. I should come up with a proper CFM formula perhaps but I am a wee bit tired tonight, but thank you for your input and I will provide more in-depth clarification / possible pseudo-blueprints (presentations using gimp or another graphical program) to present my case. Once again, thank you very much for your input, it is greatly appreciated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Wth a completely sealed case on a low power system , or as you said watercooled system it's a good and viable option.

Advertisement