Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying philosophy.

Options
  • 14-03-2014 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭

I'm currently studying philosophy in college (not for the first time) and im really very passionate about the topics. Trouble is I can only pick two subjects to bring to later years and I don't want to narrow myself in terms of post grad study. Is philosophy useful outside of general interest or is it somewhat self indulgent? Basically I want to contribute to society, but in a way that interests me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I recently finished a degree in Philosophy, I did it out of interest (I already had a degree in my career field that is not philosophically related).

I'd love if there was some direct application of philosophy in a real life job, but I think that it's the whole ability to think critically, to be able to assess validity and to have good reasoning skills is the closest it gets!

I'm currently doing a masters in philosophy, again only out of interest, but unless a teaching role comes up I doubt I will be working directly with philosophy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

I recently finished a degree in Philosophy, I did it out of interest (I already had a degree in my career field that is not philosophically related).

I'd love if there was some direct application of philosophy in a real life job, but I think that it's the whole ability to think critically, to be able to assess validity and to have good reasoning skills is the closest it gets!

I'm currently doing a masters in philosophy, again only out of interest, but unless a teaching role comes up I doubt I will be working directly with philosophy.

Hmmm, thanks for your response. I think about this a fair bit and my mind jumps around but I'm currently doing philosophy and film module and find it quite interesting. I cant imagine it would be too hard to bridge the gap between philosophy and film studies or perhaps history (thinking along the lines of political ideologies of the last 100years or so).

What do you see yourself doing career wise after you've finished your studies?

What do you see yourself doing career wise after you've finished your studies?

Don't get me started :D im finding it hard to decide. I'm interested in loads of different areas like psychology, history of various periods and international relations. I'm trying to keep options open. Although im pushing on a bit. :D

Hehe, with such an enquiring mind it's not surprising you like philosophy!

I'm sure you will find your path.

• Advertisement

Hehe, with such an enquiring mind it's not surprising you like philosophy!

I'm sure you will find your path.

May i be so sold as to ask what you are studying in the masters?

It's quite a broad one, so far I've finished two modules, Philosophical Methods and Mind/Body and am currently doing two more, Moral Philosophy and Philosophy of Religion. Next year there will be two more, not sure yet but definitely Aesthetics for one. Then a dissertation but no idea yet where to go with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It's quite a broad one, so far I've finished two modules, Philosophical Methods and Mind/Body and am currently doing two more, Moral Philosophy and Philosophy of Religion. Next year there will be two more, not sure yet but definitely Aesthetics for one. Then a dissertation but no idea yet where to go with that.
    Do you cover post-modern? Is so, which philosophers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement