Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+

Options
  • 14-03-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,
    im starting out in IT with no experience and I've been studying with Pitman Training for the last year to pass the A+ exam.
    Can anyone tell is both the 801 and 802 exams just multiple choice or what?

I was talking to someone recently and they told me the exams have changed to include labs and etc to demonstrate what you learned.

The plan was to get the A+, work in pc repair or something similar for experience and move upwards with Network and Security.

Any advice appreciated,
    this is a complete career change for me so I'm really nervous and the A+ is €285 per exam in Galway so I cant afford mistakes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bigal87

Hi, I took the A+ in December and both the 801 and 802 contain around 75 questions. The 801 had 10 simulations and the 802 had 6 of them, all the other questions are multiple choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

Bigal87 wrote: »
    Hi, I took the A+ in December and both the 801 and 802 contain around 75 questions. The 801 had 10 simulations and the 802 had 6 of them, all the other questions are multiple choice.

Regarding the simulations are they click on the correct order type questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paulooka

Anyone know of a CompTIA + course provider that runs the course full time on days as oppose to online only?

Thanks
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭holdmybeer

paulooka wrote: »
    Anyone know of a CompTIA + course provider that runs the course full time on days as oppose to online only?

Thanks
    P

I did mine with Pitman Training and it cost a lot but I got my cert in the end so it paid off. I probably would have been better off getting a book and some revision practice exams/programs but I wasn't aware of them at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I got my A+ and Network+ this year. Can't see much interest in them from employers though. They seem to be regarded in the IT world as a bit lame......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

excollier wrote: »
    I got my A+ and Network+ this year. Can't see much interest in them from employers though. They seem to be regarded in the IT world as a bit lame......

I have started studying the Comptia A+ with the aim to complete the Network+ at some point in the future.

It's definitely better than nothing. It's not quite so easy to change careers but this is a start ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I have started studying the Comptia A+ with the aim to complete the Network+ at some point in the future.

It's definitely better than nothing. It's not quite so easy to change careers but this is a start ;)
    Start is the word too.....most IT jobs require a degree plus some experience.
    A+ and Network+ are a long way from that.
    All I'm saying is don't set your hopes too high on these certs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

excollier wrote: »
    Start is the word too.....most IT jobs require a degree plus some experience.
    A+ and Network+ are a long way from that.
    All I'm saying is don't set your hopes too high on these certs

I wouldn't hope to stop there. I am looking to go back to college next year but that's proving to be somewhat difficult. I think the best route is Comptia courses and look for some entry level jobs or interns. I am looking to work in Germany sometime next year.

Advertisement