Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career break from teaching

Options
  • 14-03-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

hi all,

Fews questions on the above - I have looked at the circular but still not sure... so hoping someone here might know.

If you take a career break can you take up employment in Ireland? If so how do you get round getting a p45 for the 'new job'? I assume you would need one?

The circular states no work in schools.... but can you take up a lecturing job or other job in a third level college or university in ireland? Are you barred from the public sector I guess is what I'm asking.

thanks for any help,

trihead:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

trihead wrote: »
    hi all,

Fews questions on the above - I have looked at the circular but still not sure... so hoping someone here might know.

If you take a career break can you take up employment in Ireland? If so how do you get round getting a p45 for the 'new job'? I assume you would need one?

The circular states no work in schools.... but can you take up a lecturing job or other job in a third level college or university in ireland? Are you barred from the public sector I guess is what I'm asking.

thanks for any help,

trihead:rolleyes:

I worked with a teacher who was on a career break from another school, she was in my school a good 3 years and was paid privately she told me if she was paid by dept she was only allowed to do a few hours for the year (something like a months work but can't remember exactly). Why don't you ask dept. I doubt you get a p45 until you resign or retire but you could get revenue to allocate your tax credits to new job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

Anyone know if there are lesser known downsides to going on career break?

Do you go back to the start of seniority list so therefore be more at risk of redeployment etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Your seniority will not change. You are on approved leave. Likewise, if you are a pre 2011 entrant, you will not move to the post 2011 payscale or pension scheme. This is the current situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 benhoran

Hi, I ve being granted a career break starting in August, because Im going back to college as a mature student in October, Is it possible to claim back tax in september without a p45? I m thinking of resigning my post so that I could claim back taxes in September as I wil need every penny for college fees. Does anybody know if I can apply for a mature student expenses grant etc> Thank you

Advertisement