Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford focus hard start

Options
  • 14-03-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi guys i need your help

I bought a 2006 ford focus lx just the other day. The engine is fine when driving its just sometimes when i turn the key to start the car it doesnt "catch" and the engine doesnt turn on and all the dash lights turn on.

It happened when i came out of the gym today and again after i came out of work.

I get it started after 2- 3 attempts turning the key, any idea what the problem may be?

Perfect car otherwise,
    Sorry i know nothing about cars!

Regards
    Shygal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RS6man

Sounds like a problem with the flux capacitor.

Visit your nearest Ford garage and tell them this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

shygal wrote: »
    Hi guys i need your help

I bought a 2006 ford focus lx just the other day. The engine is fine when driving its just sometimes when i turn the key to start the car it doesnt "catch" and the engine doesnt turn on and all the dash lights turn on.

It happened when i came out of the gym today and again after i came out of work.

I get it started after 2- 3 attempts turning the key, any idea what the problem may be?

Perfect car otherwise,
    Sorry i know nothing about cars!

Regards
    Shygal

It could be the starter motor, which can cost around 200-300euro. Do you hear any noise coming from the engine when you turn the key, like a loud whirring?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

RS6man wrote: »
    Sounds like a problem with the flux capacitor.

Visit your nearest Ford garage and tell them this.

Ignore this childish newbie here trying to be funny, and failing.....badly.

Back on topic -

is the ignition key badly worn? Ford keys wear badly, and may need a joggle in the ingition barrel to work sometimes.

Also, could be your starter on the way out, no biggie, and cheap to fix. Not 200 or 300 to fix, you'll get a 2nd hand starter in a breakers for €40 ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Also, could be your starter on the way out, no biggie, and cheap to fix. Not 200 or 300 to fix, you'll get a 2nd hand starter in a breakers for €40 ish.

I was talking brand new price, which most garages will offer. Second hand will obviously be cheaper but has it's own risks, plus Shygal would also have to find someone to fit it, a lot of mechanics can be reluctant to do this.

My friend replaced a starter recently, cant remember exactly what price he said but it was over 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simonvd

Hi
    I have the same kind of problem too,
    I have 03 ford focus 1.8 diesel with 140k miles and it's a great car but recently it won't start.
    It takes about 6-8 turns of the key, then other days it starts on the first turn. The battery is good, so I'm thinking it could be the starter, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Starters do give trouble on them alright. Ford do exchange units for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 simonvd

Starters do give trouble on them alright. Ford do exchange units for reasonable money.

And if it's not the starter after I buy it,do you think they will take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

They usually won't accept returns on electrical parts.

Advertisement