Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacement shock sensors

Options
  • 14-03-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Where can I buy replacement shock sensors for a hkc securewatch 6/10? Do I have to use hkc type or are there generic sensors I can use? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

king2 wrote: »
    Where can I buy replacement shock sensors for a hkc securewatch 6/10? Do I have to use hkc type or are there generic sensors I can use? Thanks

Any global sensors will work with your system.
    Have a look here on the suppliers list.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Its a few yrs since I've done anything with the alarm. Can you tell me how do I inhibit tampers so that it doesnt go off if I open a sensor etc, I did it a few yrs ago but cant remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Its a few yrs since I've done anything with the alarm. Can you tell me how do I inhibit tampers so that it doesnt go off if I open a sensor etc, I did it a few yrs ago but cant remember!

Do you have engineer access to the system? If so just enter your engineer code and that will allow you to work on the system without it detecting tamper conditions.

Inhibiting tampers only works when you are trying to arm a system and a tamper zone is showing as open, in this case you would inhibit that tamper zone by pressing the # button and relative zone number after your code.

Yes I have engineer access, Thanks

Yes I have engineer access, Thanks

Excellent work away with it so, if you have any hassles come back to us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you replacing all or have you identified a faulty one.
    Replacing a sensor just because a zone is false alarming will often not solve the problem. You should check the resistance on a zone first if you are having issues.

I was having alot of false alarms about 2 yrs ago so I tested the shock sensors by measuring the resistance of each individually. I connected a DVM to each sensor and tapped it to get a momentary increase in resistance followed by a return to the original value . I gave each sensor about 100 taps, 3 out of the 4 sensors returned to the original value for about 95 of the 100 taps while one didnt return to the original value for maybe 15 to 20 of the 100 taps. I disconnected this one and the false alarms stopped, so I am presuming this was the faulty sensor. I didnt get around to looking for a replacement until now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You sound like you are better up on this than some installers. I don’t think you need my help here. :)

altor wrote: »
    Any global sensors will work with your system.
    Have a look here on the suppliers list.

Are there any sites doing online sales?

I would doubt it, inertia sensors are not very popular internationally.

I remember some years ago working here with a techy from London who couldn't believe that we still use inertia sensors.

• Advertisement

You may get some local suppliers that will deliver. Where are you located?

kub wrote: »

I remember some years ago working here with a techy from London who couldn't believe that we still use inertia sensors.

what are used instead, Magnetic?

KoolKid wrote: »
    You may get some local suppliers that will deliver. Where are you located?

I'm in Limerick

Is there a spec on that anywhere, it looks to me like it may need 12 volts so it would not be a direct replacement.

You wan't a standard global shock sensor not one that's powered.
    Like these
    http://rspl.web.ie/product_list/146

Like these

Yes, might as well stick with the same type.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, so if it's deemed to be "old hat" using inertia sensors, what's an acceptable alternative?

They clearly are an acceptable sensor here, why are they so badly regarded elsewhere?

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

OK, so if it's deemed to be "old hat" using inertia sensors, what's an acceptable alternative?

They clearly are an acceptable sensor here, why are they so badly regarded elsewhere?

I never said that they were old hat, I just said that they are more popular here than elsewhere.

In my book they are the best solution in a domestic installation.
    The UK domestic market is all about beams and contacts with the usual can't go here or there when the systems are part guarded. I prefer full access when possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I never said that they were old hat, I just said that they are more popular here than elsewhere.

In my book they are the best solution in a domestic installation.
    The UK domestic market is all about beams and contacts with the usual can't go here or there when the systems are part guarded. I prefer full access when possible.

Absolutely! The concept of not being able to move in certain areas is a pain, especially in a bungalow, which was why I raised the thought.

I'd agree, it's far better to detect the attempt to get in than to wait until (potentially) damage has been done and the perimeter has been breached before then doing something about it.

I guess I was more concerned that as a result of other changes or developments in other areas, there might have been some form of technical objection or issues with the ongoing use of shock sensors, and if there isn't, that's good enough for me.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Like these
    I have had to replace one of these lately. Still having problems. Are there directions available about the orientation of the sensor in relation to the magnet? There is an arrow on the "barrel" . Where should this be pointing? Thanks for any help.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I have had to replace one of these lately. Still having problems. Are there directions available about the orientation of the sensor in relation to the magnet? There is an arrow on the "barrel" . Where should this be pointing? Thanks for any help.

Good old HKC ;), make sure those arrows are looking straight up.

Didn't they buy Astec for their sensor technology?
    The ones that work in any orientation:confused:?

Didn't they buy Astec for their sensor technology?
    The ones that work in any orientation:confused:?

That is correct, but the poster mentioned the arrow on the head so I assume it is the traditional one.

I know that... Just curious as to why HKC arn't using the sensor technology they were so eager to get their hands on.:confused:

I know that... Just curious as to why HKC arn't using the sensor technology they were so eager to get their hands on.:confused:

AFAIK they have not gotten around to changing the heads in their traditional type sensor yet.

HKC a lot done.......With a lot more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭altor

AFAIK they have not gotten around to changing the heads in their traditional type sensor yet.

HKC a lot done.......With a lot more to do.

The new slimline sensors use the Astec, or I mean HKC head.

Advertisement