Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a plumber in limerick :(

Options
  • 14-03-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

ok so my girlfriend recently decided that our toilet brush head would look better lodged in our toilet bowel.

i wasnt so sure at the time but meh, we make sacrifices for the ones we love and all that. after all the dog situation worked itself out.

so after a few mins we decided it would be best to keep the toilet brush head on the actual toilet brush stick as it would be a lot more useful there.

so we tried to remove the head from the bowel but it was just about in view so we, ahem, made a joint decision to try to poke it and prod it with as many things as possible rather than putting our hands in the take it out (toilet was being cleaned at the time so even though its still disgusting there wasnt any brown objects or yellow water).

so needless to say instead of working, the prodding kinda just pushed the head out of sight instead. now the head was just around the bend in the toilet............

so it was hands time...... we tried putting our hands in to remove it but could barely feel the bristles with our fingers and couldnt get a grip. so we tried the help of a coat hanger...... didnt work. we tried a flexible metal rod thing we got in woodies and that didnt work. in fact im pretty sure between that and thet pressure in the bend, the head has now officially traveled out of reach. it is either at the other side of the bend (still in the porcelain) or it is in the pipe. i dont think it hasnt traveled outside the "bathroom" zone yet though.

the toilet fills half way with water but it subsides EVERY time. my next idea was if we cant remove the brush head we can try to flush it away into the ocean with all the goldfish and turtles of this world. maybe if it could get to the street sewers they would be big enough that it wont be an issue. so flush after flush after flush. ive flushed the bloody thing a lot. but it keeps filling halfway and subsiding. ive tried pouring buckets of water in from a height before the flush but still same result.

so im convinced its just at the "next bend" just out of the porcelain but still in the bathroom. but of course lodged there sideways of course.

so after google doc (not sure if there is actually one, im just using the phrase for searching through google) recommended that i remove the toilet bowl, i decided that maybe it might be just about time to look for someone who knows what they are doing. sure im after making the puzzle a little more interesting but sometimes we just gotta be a man about these things and think "i just couldnt be arsed anymore".

so there in lies the problem. we need a plumber. ideally one that wont cost us the naming of our first born or one that would like to get me to do a sexy little dance for them (while crying) as payment.

ive never gotten a plumber before but heard that this could cost a couple of hundred to fix.

so does anyone know, or are any of you a plumber and how much could a job like this be????

also while i normally wouldnt mind just asking a mate who has an idea how to do it, we are renting this house so we kinda need an actual plumber to do it as we dont want anything to get damaged.

also we have guests coming to stay next weekend......... i panicked thinking it was this weekend (st patrick weekend), but no its next weekend.

does my online grammar bother people 5 votes

no it doesnt
    0%
    yes it does
    60%
    CraftySueeyebrows63ShatterProof 3 votes
    no it doesnt i think your an inspiration
    20%
    steveon 1 vote
    yes i does you make the baby jesus cry
    20%
    GE90 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

yes it does
    Its a piece of piss to remove a toilet bowl, you should be able to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,729 ✭✭✭✭phog

Can you unscrew the 4 screws around the base of the bowl and gently move the toilet away from the 4in pipe, reach in from the outlet and remove the obstacle?

If they toilet is connected to a lead pipe ( very old connection) then leave it for an expert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

its not a lead pipe anyway. id just be worried about damaging anything. im going to ring a couple of guys today anyway and get a quote. if its cheaper than i was planning ill def get a plumber in

• Registered Users Posts: 23,729 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's a fairly simple job to remove the bowl from the outlet.

If the heads of the 4 screws are visible and not damaged just unscrew them and gently wiggle the bowl away from the outlet. Use a screwdriver that fits the screw heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ended up getting a plumber in. 90 quid for it. so worth it

Advertisement