Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying home network cables

Options
  • 14-03-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I've recently bought a house that was built aroung 2006/2007 and i'm just trying to figure out the cabling that was installed.

the builder has run 2 x cat5e into 4 rooms all terminating to a patch panel under the stairs.

that part of it is fine and i'm happy enough with what needs to be done to get the conections up and running with an internet connection.

what i'm wondering is in the cabinet containing the patch panel there are a few other cables that i have no idea about.

I've got 4 x yellow cables that say NET5e on them that are not terminated and i don't know where in the house they are coming from. i'm not sure what these would have been for/where then might be coming from?

The coaxial cable for UPC is in there too, i have one point in the sitting room and one in the bedroom which the upc guy connected up in this box by splitting the main cable in i'm guessing but i have another coaxial cable in the box thats not terminated, it looks like it could be for another upc/coaxial point in the house but i only have the 2 outlets, any ideas?

i also have one final grey wire again not terminated, i was thinking this might be to do with the phone point in the hall? i don't think a phone has ever been used in the house but there is a socket on the wall.

Here is a pic of it (patch panel at the bottom just out of view) network cabinet.JPG

anyone have any ideas were they might be originating from and what there uses might be? The yellow cables are whats really confusing me.

thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 UnGround

I done a bit more digging around and have found where the yellow cables go.

it seems the house is also wired for surround sound:) which is a nice surprise. every room has blanking plates on the wall and ceiling and when i removed them they showed the yellow cable on the wall panel and what look like 2 speaker cables in the wall and 2 speaker cables in the ceiling.

also the other coaxial cable goes to the second bedroom it's just not connected at either end but its great that its there for the future.

The final single grey wire is going to the main bedroom, it looks like another cat5 cable, possibly cat 6? but i dont know what it woul be used for as it's beside the 2 cat5e sockets in the bedroom so no need for another on. it's just a length of cable going from the bedroom to under the stairs.

Anyway i just need to figure out what i need to do to get the surround up and running. But i guess i'd be better taking this to the HE diy forum.

if anyone has an idea about how the cables should be used i'd appreciate it.

Advertisement