Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy a Rotary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

Rotary's are great, but if you dont have a paint thickness gauge they can to some damage. I have always used a dual action as they are more forgiving, you can literally stay on the one spot for a 5mins and do no harm. I wouldnt use a rotary as (IMO) not many people have the experience to fully understand how badly wrong things can go. The products you use with machines are different to hand use products, and you could do damage to the paint with the wrong polish alone. I hate to be the voice of doom but go with a rotary. Maybe its just me and i may have an irrational fear of rotary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

haha, you're certainly not the only one out there with the irrational doom n' gloom fear of rotary's, it's literally all you read online when you lookup "rotary polisher"

I had quite alot of time and practice on my bonnet when polishing it up, I was using very course Farcela Compound in the beginning with what I realise now was incorrect technique (let alone the incorrect compound and incorrect polishing sponges). My two cents are that you would have to be doing it terribly wrong and very often to do irreversable damage.

When it comes to paint correction, I havn't seen results that come anywhere as close.

The reason I want one is not because I intend on using it every other weekend, rather I want one to correct my car as a one off. I can use it on my parents cars too which they would really appreciate. And I would always have it going forward for whenever I buy a new car and it too needs some TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Thread fail - I clicked thinking it was going to be asking "Do I buy an RX8 or RX7". I bet you did the exact same IK09 ;)

Seb - personally, the prices of those 2 that you linked are putting me off because of the amount of stuff you get with them. That tells me that the machines are heaps of crap that will implode or explode in no time. Then again they could be fine but from my experience, buy cheap, buy twice.

I would go for the Sim-180 if you can find it. Clean Car sell it but it's not in stock as far as I can see. I bought one from them and it's an excellent machine. It's made by the same crowd who make the DAS-6 and DAS-6 Power+ which I also own and it's as sturdy and nice to use as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I have considered buying a rotory over and over again.
    If I were to jump ship from the Das6 pro I would most likely buy an EP801.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/cleanyoucar-ep801-compact-rotary-polisher/cat_100.html

Seeing as we got good weather over the weekend, I decided to use my mates rotary on the car over the past two days.

my body is actually freekin' broken. Awesome results, but I'm not sure if i'm all to keen on spending that much time and energy again. ever.

rinse, snowfoam, rinse, light wash, rinse, heavy wash, rinse, de-tar, wash, claybar, wash, rinse, dry, rotary polish with Menzerna SF4000 (Farcela G6 compounding first in areas with scratches and door scuffs), then Super Resin Polish, and Extra Gloss protection. Then alloys cleaned and sealed, then all plastic trim done with TW bumper and tyre shine, then tyres dressed with same, then windows polished with good old windowlene, curl up into little ball and cry.

my shoulders. jeeeez

Just a pity that I was too knackered to put on more than one layer of EGP... I really should have done 2 layers, or finished with a layer of wax aswell.

PS, no more light scratches or swirls :) (some deeper scratches here n' there but they're far less noticable, I'm not 100% if there are any hologram trails as I only got scattered bursts of sunshine to really see well... but so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

I'm buying the Shine Mate EP 180 this evening :)

I have used most of the flex machines (DA, FR & rotary) i was just simply blown away with the rotary.

When i got the rotary at hand i was not ready for the torque and it went for a little jog :p they are such a different machine and one needs to be awake and paying attention.

Now everyone is saying you cant do damage with a DA, that is false you can go straight through the paint if your guard is down ;)

How much are you paying for the shine mate?

E120 excluding P & P

About the same as the cyc one.
    I assume it is the same machine.

Yep :-)

• Advertisement

proper polishing pads / sponges are pricey enough though. eep.

proper polishing pads / sponges are pricey enough though. eep.

Hex Logic are not badly priced and last ages if you take care of them.

I am so tempted to buy a rotary only I probably wont get any better finish in my car so probably not worth it for me.

Love the hex pads

vectra wrote: »
    Hex Logic are not badly priced and last ages if you take care of them.

I am so tempted to buy a rotary only I probably wont get any better finish in my car so probably not worth it for me.

They are good but a much faster correction is achievable with microfibre pads on the D/A.

They are good but a much faster correction is achievable with microfibre pads on the D/A.

Which MF pad do you suggest?
    I tried the megs ones when they came out first and the fell apart.

vectra wrote: »
    Which MF pad do you suggest?
    I tried the megs ones when they came out first and the fell apart.

I have a few Chemical Guys ones that I got from Curran. I haven't used them yet but he says that they give a faster correction compared to foam pads.

I used the flexi pads and chemical guys one but on different machines and sizes so i cant compare, but i like both and the CG have more foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Meg's first rev of MF were known to fall apart and they'll admit that themselves. The 2nd rev were gar superior apparently!

Just in relation to the above, would I, a D/A owner, benefit from an MF pad?

I plan to pick up a Yellow hex-logic pad for my car, but would an MF pad work instead, better?

For example, This:

http://www.detailingshed.com/machine-polishing/248-chemical-guys-black-optics-microfiber-orange-cutting-pad.html

instead of this:

http://www.detailingshed.com/machine-polishing/252-chemical-guys-hex-logic-65-yellow-pad.html

:confused:

(edit: if it matters, my car is destroyed in swirls!)

You need to do a test panel with different combo's work up to more aggressive.

• Advertisement

You got your new toy I see?

Did you go for the ep-801 ?

3NykdPP.jpg

I'm liking the new caps on the Menzerna :D

Are those lake country or scholl pads?

Did you use it yet?

I need a comparison between this using foam pads and using a das6 pro with mf pads.

I will be either getting a car to pratice (scrap) on or some panels.

Jumped ship finally and sold the das6 pro.
    Bought an ep801 yesterday along with some other goodies.

Now to practice on the E60 Ha :D

Good news, Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mr Detail

Interested to see how you get on with the rotary.

I have two rotarys on the shelf and rarely take them out. Just dont see f all difference in time and cutting power over the fr flex. Maybe it's just my technique. At times for deeper marks I just wet sand anyway and the flex and hex pads take out 1600 marks with 3 or so passes + refinning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Your flex is probably a forced DA....massie difference between it and a run of the mill DA!

What model flex is it?

Advertisement