Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spray for newly reseeded ground...

Options
  • 14-03-2014 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I reseeded about 9 acres late last september, but didn't follow up with a spray as I thought it would be too late (In hindsight, I could have worked away....).
    Is there a clover safe spray that would be good to use at this stage?
    I'm planning to get it grazed off first over the next week and then spray, or should I spray first ?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Legumex Db .id spray first then graze .leave 10 days between spraying and grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

Is it important to spray or would you get away without spraying?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Reseeded last year and sprayed using the legumex DB, its very potent stuff and fairly expensive in hindsight i think i will do future reseed without clover and then stitch in later when i am sure swath is clean, you can see where it did not kill some of the weeds outright

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Is it important to spray or would you get away without spraying?

It's as important as burning off before reseeding.clover safe sprays are a tad expensive though.for the last few years I havnt used any clover in my reseed mixes as I feel it a nuisance.no substance to it and it can take over a sward.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Legumex Db .id spray first then graze .leave 10 days between spraying and grazing
    mahoney_j wrote: »
    It's as important as burning off before reseeding.clover safe sprays are a tad expensive though.for the last few years I havnt used any clover in my reseed mixes as I feel it a nuisance.no substance to it and it can take over a sward.

Thanks, plan on doing some reseeding and done a small bit before. Sprayed off before with roundup but never sprayed afterwards. Just grazed and took a cut of silage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cloudroost

Thanks for information... I'll get spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

IMO using legumex at this stage is a waste of time. It is quite a weak spray and need to get weeds at seedling stage. If you have serious weed issues you may have to scarfise the clover. I am of the opinion that in reseeding old swards or where rush is an issue your are better off not putting in clover.

If docks an issue use eagle later in the year. If a multiple of weeds forget about clover. If i was spraying now I would be using MCPA and hope clover survives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

IMO using legumex at this stage is a waste of time. It is quite a week sprat and need to gett weeds at seedlin stage. If you have serious weed issues you may have to scarfice the clover. I am of the opinion that in reseediong old swards or where rush is an issue your are better off not putting in clover.

If docks an issue use eagle later in the year. If a multiple of weeds forget about clover. If i was spraying noe I would be using MCPA and hope clover survives.

I'd use Mcpa and hope it takes out the clover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

What would you use to get rid of chickweed, would it be better to hit docks before they get established?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I have bare patches in a reseed with just chickweed, would grazing be sufficient to prepare it for a patch in job, ie would cattle check the weed sufficiently

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback...

I'm hopeing to spray next week with MCPA.
    Could somebody comment if it is ok to use MCPA on grass sown last september (I'll let the clover take its chance..) - The instructions on the MCPA indicates that it should be used ONLY on grass over 1 year old...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i sprayed mine with high load mircam, 5lt for 10 acres the other day

Thanks for that - I hadn't looked at High Load Mircam - Was there a lot of docks in yours? It's buttercup thats my main problem, although it looks like it will deal with these as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,153 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

cloudroost wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I hadn't looked at High Load Mircam - Was there a lot of docks in yours? It's buttercup thats my main problem, although it looks like it will deal with these as well.

There's not too many weeds in it but spray man walked it and that's what he recommended

Advertisement