Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get Feedback on a piece of work?

Options
  • 14-03-2014 5:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to creative writing, and it's something I really enjoy.

I've entered a short story competition recently and it's my first finished piece of writing.

I'd love to improve and get feedback.

Just curious how do people get feedback on their work?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Ask people what they don't like about your story.

If you say, "What do you think?" they'll try to be nice to you, especially if they like you, or are not sure what it is that niggles them about the story.

If you ask them what they don't like, they will tell you that a certain bit bored or confused them, or that the style was a bout annoying, or whatever. They'll tell you if they liked it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭buiscuit2168

I think ask your friends and family saying what parts didn't they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sally365

Getting friends to read anything more than a facebook length sentence is hard these days :/

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

Join a writers group or do a course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

sally365 wrote: »
    Getting friends to read anything more than a facebook length sentence is hard these days :/

I'm a little busy to properly answer you at the minute, but that seemed to be a "Twitter" length sentence, since I calculated it to be 92 characters out of a maximum of 140 characters, notwithstanding my abhorrence of the 2 social media now being referenced due to attention span issues they encourage, the efficacy of short bursts of text with some other media, is the message, no?

Or do I not have a McLuhan what I'm talking about?

As an attention span test, here's 2 minutes and 38 seconds of Matt Monroe, not to be confused with his sister, Marilyn. See if you can last till the end.

Gotta go. I am still here in Russia with Ted Snowdem at "Oragranichenyy priton" which roughly translated, means Отграниченный притон, and I may be here a while yet. Otherwise, I would be posting the continuation of my story here.

Oh, and post a story here. I'm sure it will get views.

Advertisement