Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avenue Q returning to Dublin

Options
  • 14-03-2014 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭

Avenue Q is returning , a very short run though, Aug 5th - 9th at Grand Canal Theatre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

It's a different production company though I think. The puppets on the promotional material look a bit cheaper than their original counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Is there a ticket price for this yet? Last time they were crazy & I think it flopped

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ticket prices for plays and musicals tend to be pretty high in general... to me anyway! I don't go as often as I'd like because I would rather get decent seats at fewer shows. :)

I've never seen Avenue Q before but I'm not sure if it seems like something I would like. I might check it out, depending on the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Saw this last time it was here and thought it was excellent. Was packed when I went and I don't think they would be returning if it was a flop.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I saw it the last time it was here and I didn't see many/any empty seats on that night so I say it did well. It was good for what it was... but it wouldn't be my favourite :/ I wouldn't be bothered seeing it a second time. I'd say anyone really interested in seeing it probably saw it already the last time... so I have my doubts as to how well it'll do this time around! Especially as there are loads of great shows to choose from atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I've seen it four times but the last three because of other people. It's not a repeat viewing show IMO, once you've seen it there's no benefit to seeing it again.. And I'm someone who's seen most shows 4+ times

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nmrmcs

AndrewJD wrote: »
    It's a different production company though I think. The puppets on the promotional material look a bit cheaper than their original counterparts.

I agree it does look as if the puppets are cheaper. Its a great show but I would be skeptical about the amount on seats that will sell for this run when it has been here recently enough...it'll be a hairspray situation all over again and BGET will be trying to get people to buy discount tickets in conjunction with a fast food restaurant :P

As athtrasna mentioned it doesn't really merit repeat viewing but that doesn't mean I wouldn't go again if I got given a ticket. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Just looked at tickets for Wednesday. Row A, middle of the stage in the stalls. Loads of ticket offers around too, looks like it's not selling..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Livingsocial have a deal atm for the next 3 days, selling tickets for 22euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Went to this tonight and it was excellent. The stalls at least were full, not sure how full the circle was. There was a gang there from RTE, spotted Derek Mooney, Nuala Carey and a few others so they mustve been given a few tix. Great show, so many catchy bits! Few topical lines in there for the Irish audience as well.

One thing though, don't make the mistake of taking a child to it, like the lady tonight who had to take her daughter out at a certain scene! Adult stuff and naked puppets involved!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Cool wrote: »
    Went to this tonight and it was excellent. The stalls at least were full, not sure how full the circle was. There was a gang there from RTE, spotted Derek Mooney, Nuala Carey and a few others so they mustve been given a few tix. Great show, so many catchy bits! Few topical lines in there for the Irish audience as well.

One thing though, don't make the mistake of taking a child to it, like the lady tonight who had to take her daughter out at a certain scene! Adult stuff and naked puppets involved!

In fairness there is an advisory notice in all the advertising. Happens every time though. People mistake it for sesame street lol

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

It doesn't matter how much they advertise that it's not for kids, people still bring kids to it assuming that it's OK as it has cute puppets.

Not surprised they've discounted the tickets, they were way too expensive.

I love Avenue Q and could happily watch it everyday.

Advertisement