Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grazon 90 Effectiveness

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭

Have decided that I have a good bit of clearing to do at home for the summer, certain areas of the farm have a lot of briers that need to be cleared. Have also read that it can be useful for furze bushes as well.

I doubt it would be very effective on the larger ones we have but it might be worth using for the small ones? or would it be better to have them cut first and then spray them with this stuff? Anyone have any experience with this or have any better ideas to remove furze?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

It will kill any size furze for a few years.

If you could dig them out and keep the new shoots sprayed it might be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

It kills well, there is a cheaper version I think it is called brush wood killer.
    does same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

It's a good product but one thing is it will only kill branches of gourse that are sprayed not the whole plant so you need pretty good coverage.

So might be better cut down and follow up with a spray on re growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

endainoz wrote: »
    Have decided that I have a good bit of clearing to do at home for the summer, certain areas of the farm have a lot of briers that need to be cleared. Have also read that it can be useful for furze bushes as well.

I doubt it would be very effective on the larger ones we have but it might be worth using for the small ones? or would it be better to have them cut first and then spray them with this stuff? Anyone have any experience with this or have any better ideas to remove furze?

Did someone mention killing furze :D

Tall furze, cut them down first. Save the firewood if they're big enough, it burns well. Spray the regrowth, OR paint the FRESHLY cut stump with roundup.

For small furze (creeping gorse), I would burn them first (will have to be after September now as we're in nesting season). The spray the regrowth. And if you want to do a proper job, burn the sprayed regrowth a year or 18 months after - then you'll have more regrowth to spray but much, much reduced seed bed.

In short, Grazon 90 is excellent for creeping gorse, and spraying regrowth of tall gorse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Did someone mention killing furze :D

Tall furze, cut them down first. Save the firewood if they're big enough, it burns well. Spray the regrowth, OR paint the FRESHLY cut stump with roundup.

For small furze (creeping gorse), I would burn them first (will have to be after September now as we're in nesting season). The spray the regrowth. And if you want to do a proper job, burn the sprayed regrowth a year or 18 months after - then you'll have more regrowth to spray but much, much reduced seed bed.

In short, Grazon 90 is excellent for creeping gorse, and spraying regrowth of tall gorse.

We okay til march 31st to burn Con no? I was burning tonight

• Advertisement
Advertisement