Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batteries, Amps, Cloud chasing

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys i was wondering if anyone knows enough about batteries to help me out. Ive started cloud chasing and im looking to vape using some pretty high amps. now i know amps are the dangerous ones and vaping at 30 amps on a 6 amp battery will cause a serious case of facial scars. Problem is when i look up battery reviews its very hard to find an amp limit for the batteries. i recently bought a pink sdi panasonic icr 2800 mAh battery and just cant find what the amp limit is.

Does anyone have a link to a place i can order a 30 amp battery that wont get stuck in china for weeks?

Also one more thing whats the difference between protected and unprotected batteries?

Thanks for any help i get :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

HMMMM OUT OS STOCK AT MOMENT you could give them a ring to see when back in, maybe his order is stuck in china lol. sorry for shouting

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Figgywurmack Limerick

Thanks for that man decent price too. Any idea what the limit on the battery i bought is? googled it for about an hour and i feel like i know less now

This is a guess as they havent stated what amp that they are 10amp have some myself and i assume they are 10amp to be on safe side , im sure someone will tell you exactly though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php

Have a go at this.....don't worry, you will not be vaping 30Amps.....:)

Put in your coil resistance and voltage and you will see what watts you are vaping at. Usually at 1ohm on a freshly charged iMR battery you will be vaping at 17 watts and just over 4 Amps.

What you have to watch out for is a short circuit, that means the resistance is zero and the batt will max out....not good at all. Other than that IMR batteries are some of the safest high load batteries commercially available today.

There are tons of apps for iPhone & Android that have an ohms calculator on them, some designed specifically for vapers.....Google is your friend......damm, now even I am saying that.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I can't find any reference to a Panasonic 2800mAh battery that isn't a camcorder battery.

SDI is Samsung's battery line and that does come in a 2800mAh variant.

They have a very low max discharge rate, 2C which = 5.6A.

Vaporium.eu will be getting the VTC3s and the VTC4s (2100mAh) in soon, wait for them. Fantastic batteries.

The difference between a protected and unprotected battery is the protected battery has a small fuse built on top that stops current flowing once a certain limit is reached (usually 5A).
    Useless for sub-ohming.

Always buy IMR batteries for vaping, less danger inherent in it's chemistry.
    ICRs have low discharge rates and vent violently with flame, IMRs generally have high discharge rates and vent slowly (by comparison) and just get incredibly hot.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/batteries/216-samsung-2600-mah-18650-li-lon-battery.html are these the ones you mean grindle?

I got 2 of these along with 2 of the 30amp vaporium ones you recommended to me.

No, Figgy said SDI 2800mAh ICR, so that's what I looked up.

The ones you linked are 2C as well, max discharge = 5.2A.

No figures for pulse discharge rates that I could find... ICRs aren't the best chemistry for testing those limits due to their blowy-uppiness.

grindle wrote: »
    No, Figgy said SDI 2800mAh ICR, so that's what I looked up.

The ones you linked are 2C as well, max discharge = 5.2A.

No figures for pulse discharge rates that I could find... ICRs aren't the best chemistry for testing those limits due to their blowy-uppiness.

THANKS Grindle

They are long lasting at least. i have the 30amp ones if i go sub anyway

blowy uppiness definitely not on my to do list, hopefully

There's another battery Sony are releasing, the VTC5, it's 2600mAh.

You'd be surprised how long the charge lasts on the 1600mAhs if you coil a little below your comfort zone and expect to get your ideal vape in a few hours. I usually change batteries every day and vape 1.5ml a day and the batteries invariably go back on the charger measuring 3.8v, but I was away from my charger for a day so I dropped a coil and kept using the same battery at the same pace and after day two it was reading 3.6v.
    I know 3ml/day is closer to the average but not having to switch batteries in a mech within a day was amazing for me. I could feasibly have dropped another coil and gone on for a third day!

• Advertisement

Lol what does dropping a coil mean (sounds painful) and how does it make battery last longer , im on my 3rd day with the 2600 second day it got light use first day was 16hr , i assume with kick i can run it till it stops?

They take so long to charge thats what i was gonna do , use the 2 pink up put on charge and vise versa

Thanks a mill for the feedback guys.
    I was gonna go for a 0.3 ohm coil according to my ohm calculator app (brilliant download btw) thats 14 amps at 4.2v and 58 watts so i should be well safe with a 30amp.

Where can i buy IMR batteries?
    can you get imr batteries with high amp limit?

masonchat wrote: »
    Lol what does dropping a coil mean (sounds painful) and how does it make battery last longer
    Removing a wrap of the coil from my rebuildable - it lowers the resistance so that even though the voltage has dropped I'm reaching the same wattage. Not so much making the battery itself last longer, just using more of it's capacity.
    masonchat wrote: »
    im on my 3rd day with the 2600 second day it got light use first day was 16hr , i assume with kick i can run it till it stops?
    Yeap, the kick will stop as soon as your battery's voltage depletes, no need to worry about over-discharging.

Removing a wrap of the coil from my rebuildable - it lowers the resistance so that even though the voltage has dropped I'm reaching the same wattage. Not so much making the battery itself last longer, just using more of it's capacity.

Yeap, the kick will stop as soon as your battery's voltage depletes, no need to worry about over-discharging.

I was thinking along the right lines but was thinking you were going to say pop on a different atty with lower resistence, good to know in a bind, jesus u will have me worse than mcgyver ha thanks grindle

Thanks a mill for the feedback guys.
    I was gonna go for a 0.3 ohm coil according to my ohm calculator app (brilliant download btw) thats 14 amps at 4.2v and 58 watts so i should be well safe with a 30amp.

Where can i buy IMR batteries?
    can you get imr batteries with high amp limit?

Vaporium are the only ones selling those very high discharge batteries in Ireland.

There are Efests marked 30A and 35A but they aren't, they've been tested and started melting their wrappers at those discharge rates, most likely they're 20A with a 35A pulse rate.

AW IMR 1600mAhs are 24A max discharge.

IMRs are the only safe[-r] battery tech with such a high discharge rate.

Also, the 0.3ohm coil will pull that amount of current but you will not receive that amount of wattage due to the battery and mod's internal resistance. I'm running a 0.3ohm coil on my Nemesis [CLONE] at the moment and it's dropping 0.6v (the lower the resistance, the bigger the drop), so I'm getting 43w when fresh off the charger dwindling down to 34w when I recharge at 3.8v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Vaporium are the only ones selling those very high discharge batteries in Ireland.

There are Efests marked 30A and 35A but they aren't, they've been tested and started melting their wrappers at those discharge rates, most likely they're 20A with a 35A pulse rate.

AW IMR 1600mAhs are 24A max discharge.

IMRs are the only safe[-r] battery tech with such a high discharge rate.

Also, the 0.3ohm coil will pull that amount of current but you will not receive that amount of wattage due to the battery and mod's internal resistance. I'm running a 0.3ohm coil on my Nemesis [CLONE] at the moment and it's dropping 0.6v (the lower the resistance, the bigger the drop), so I'm getting 43w when fresh off the charger dwindling down to 34w when I recharge at 3.8v.

Thanks for the advice grindle ur a legend

Advertisement