Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sentimental value

Options
  • 13-03-2014 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

What if anything on your farm would you place such high sentimental value on that you would never see yourself selling it no matter what?!

It might be something you've had yourself since you started farming or something that your father or mother passed down to you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ok l'l start it off. ... mine would be my mf135. Bought new by my oul lad in the 70s and has been working on the farm ever since. It was the first tractor l drove and l have many fond memories from when I was growing up and driving it or sitting up beside the oul lad.

Wouldn't part with it for love or money! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I'd think horrid bad of selling the mother, even though she's slowing a bit, she still manages to throw up the dinner most days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭rushvalley

The 135 same as yourself. Have 2 of them in very good original condition and have been offered serious money for one of them. However I could never part with them. The yard just wouldn't be the same without them

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

The farm itself, they're not making anymore :P There's not really much otger stuff outside of a few tools. Most of the other older stuff has been sold off other than a n old haymaker and cultivator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Something similar, my late father in law's 4600. Owned from nearly new, maybe even new. Was a classic dairy farmer's machine. battered, soaked in sh*t, worn out front axle from the worn out loader. We've poured a fortune into it over the last few years to make it into a working tractor that will never be sold.

The irony being that my wife says her father would have placed zero weight on such sentimentality and would have parked it in the nettles or weighed it in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The 35x and husqvarna 61 wouldnt part with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,381 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Muckit wrote: »
    Ok l'l start it off. ... mine would be my mf135. Bought new by my oul lad in the 70s and has been working on the farm ever since. It was the first tractor l drove and l have many fond memories from when I was growing up and driving it or sitting up beside the oul lad.

Wouldn't part with it for love or money! :D
    +1 just given my fathers 135 and the same as others in that it was one of the first tractors i learned to drive. gonna hold onto it now for my daughter.
    it will never be sold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

Everything thing has a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭buffalobilly

Would be the old mans 35x here got lots of good memories learning to drive and cutting the corn. Ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Deffo my fathers beautiful side by side shotgun. He taught me to shoot with it and I have many fond memories of long and often wet but great days out with the guns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I used to think like that wouldn't now if time is up let it go somebody else will get something out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

mf240 wrote: »
    Everything thing has a price.

Sometimes I think that even I might have a price that the boss might offload me for.
    That said I think some things have more value from a sentimental point of view than anyone would pay.
    For us that would be grandads Ford 3600 that he had since new. We probably spent the retail value of it just doing it up over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

For us that would be grandads Ford 3600 that he had since new. We probably spent the retail value of it just doing it up over the last few years.

That was a very nice thing to do, i know it didnt make economic sense to do it but you did it for personal reasons and i admire that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

any of the border collies,

got a few keepers but if I got extreme price they would go with the exception on the dogs... & the o/h ? may as well hold on to her at this stage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

jt65 wrote: »
    any of the border collies,

got a few keepers but if I got extreme price they would go with the exception on the dogs... & the o/h ? may as well hold on to her at this stage :rolleyes:

dont forget about the rough collies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

dont forget about the rough collies ;)

was a rough collie- lassie- dog that attacked my daughter, brutal stuff. :mad:

Hey biddy what about selling the Scania 143

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hey biddy what about selling the Scania 143
    i would no probs but dont think oh would let them go, he had a lad interested in the aec the other day

biddy2013 wrote: »
    i would no probs but dont think oh would let them go, he had a lad interested in the aec the other day

Just don't tell him :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Just don't tell him :D
    i think he might realise when they are missing

• Advertisement

:D
    biddy2013 wrote: »
    i think he might realise when they are missing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Deffo my fathers beautiful side by side shotgun. He taught me to shoot with it and I have many fond memories of long and often wet but great days out with the guns.
    Similar to you but in my case my uncles s/s shotgun which was originally owned by my grandfather. Also a 20 diesel and a tvo nan.
    Also 2 oil paintings of bulls that were painted for me and given to me as a present nearly 30 years ago. If the house was burning I would try and save them after I got the kids and dogs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

fiat 110-90, turned over a couple of times on us and still perfect with a few dinges! started straight away! calving camera this time of the year would need a mention and also me landcruiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Not a farmer myself, but into classic cars, lorries, tractors & all that game.

The Grandfather bought a tractor new in the '40s. Not many tractors around then.

It's still in the family.

I'd love to have it & get it out on the road again.

Won't happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

The old dairy , no longer used and is in a bad way but could never bring myself to knock it cos it meant so much to the father to get it built back in the day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I had to think long and hard about this and I reckon it's my grandfather's toolbox. Even though most of the tools are obsolete now, I still have room in it for small bits and pieces that I only use occassionally. I think he actually bought the box from my other grandfather so it's something that was previously owned by both my grandfathers!

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement