Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxytocin and lambing?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,
    I am in my first yr lambing starting shortly, could someone please explain
    when and why oxytocin is used during lambing and what quantity is administered.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

melboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am in my first yr lambing starting shortly, could someone please explain
    when and why oxytocin is used during lambing and what quantity is administered.
    Thanks

Hi Melboy. It's only used to let down milk. If a ewe had a hard lambing for e.g she might not let the milk down. From memerory I think it's about 2ml but it will be on the back label. I'm not at the farm so can't check for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

oxytocin is used before lambing for ewes with ringwomb , I give them 2 ccs and wait for it to work , usually takes 1-2 hours but if you get a bottle off your vet you will get advice from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

If you handle a ewe lambing her and you were a bit rough give 2ml oxytocin into muscle. It contracts the lamb bed and helps control bleeding.

Advertisement