Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General forum feeling on ordering an unlocked handset from Expansys.ie

Options
  • 13-03-2014 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a new handset in the next month or so. Will probably be moving from Bill Pay to PAYG for the first time. Was looking at the Sony Z1 as an example on various sites and Expansys looked to be approximately €100 cheaper.

I did a quick search of the forum on Expansys and there are plenty of posts with problems ordering and the like. Most seemed to be several years old.

Are people still ordering unlocked handsets from Expansys and how did it work out for you? I've never bought an unsubsidised handset before and I want it to go smoothly if I decide to go ahead with it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its fine to order from them, their will always be some issues no matter where you purchase it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No Pants wrote: »
    Are people still ordering unlocked handsets from Expansys and how did it work out for you? I've never bought an unsubsidised handset before and I want it to go smoothly if I decide to go ahead with it.

Just to put you straight on the terminology - when you buy a brand new phone which is not locked to a network, it's usually called a 'SIM-free' model. The term 'unlocked' is typically used for a secondhand phone which may or may not have been locked in the past but which can now be used on any network.

You'll see this on expansys.ie where they describe the new phones as 'SIM free'.

Expansys.ie is fine to order from, I have also bought phones from Amazon UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

coylemj wrote: »
    Just to put you straight on the terminology - when you buy a brand new phone which is not locked to a network, it's usually called a 'SIM-free' model. The term 'unlocked' is typically used for a secondhand phone which may or may not have been locked in the past but which can now be used on any network.

You'll see this on expansys.ie where they describe the new phones as 'SIM free'.

Expansys.ie is fine to order from, I have also bought phones from Amazon UK.
    Sorry, to clarify, this phone will be a new phone, therefore SIM-free.

Advertisement