Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conas a déarfá....

Options
  • 13-03-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Dia dhaoibh

Conas a déarfá "It's been a pleasure" as Gailge?

Go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Edit: Re '... agus fáilte', this actually means 'with pleasure', in the sense of being happy to do something for someone, rather than having had the pleasure of something.

OP, see here for some suggestions:
    http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fgb/pleasure

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As above, there isn't a direct translation since the phrase is unique to English (with parallels in one or two other European languages) but there are ways to approximate it.

It depends on what is 'with pleasure'. It's a incomplete sentence or sentence fragment so it's difficult to translate to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

pog it wrote: »
    Edit: Re '... agus fáilte', this actually means 'with pleasure', in the sense of being happy to do something for someone, rather than having had the pleasure of something.

Did you ever think how Béarlachas "tá fáilte romhat" sounds? I mean it's a direct literal translation of "you are welcome"!

In Spanish, the answer to "gracias" is "de nada", which reminds me of the less-common "ná habair é". Another less common version is "is é do bheatha" which I have heard in Connemara.

I've never heard old-stock quality Irish speakers saying "tá fáilte romhat", except when welcoming me into their house.

I'm not ag caitheamh anuas on your Irish - I say "tá fáilte romhat" all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

Ba phléisiúr domsa é

Did you ever think how Béarlachas "tá fáilte romhat" sounds? I mean it's a direct literal translation of "you are welcome"!

In Spanish, the answer to "gracias" is "de nada", which reminds me of the less-common "ná habair é". Another less common version is "is é do bheatha" which I have heard in Connemara.

I've never heard old-stock quality Irish speakers saying "tá fáilte romhat", except when welcoming me into their house.

I'm not ag caitheamh anuas on your Irish - I say "tá fáilte romhat" all the time!

I'm not sure why you are talking about 'tá fáilte romhat' here? I remember we had a discussion about that phrase ages ago here and I was in agreement with your point on that then.

It's different to the use of fáilte in '... agus fáilte' anyway, which I've heard native speakers use and which is why I thought it might work here but it doesn't as it's meant in the context of being happy to do something for someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I'd say "ná habair é" is a translation from d'English too.
    Not so common today, but older people used to say "don't mention it"!
    And "de nada" has its English counterpart - "not at all".

Western Europe is in some respects a single cultural area, and it is common to find parallels in other languages. French was the lingua franca here for a long time, while German also served this purpose in Central and Eastern Europe for quite some time. Russian did and does further east again, and Turkish used to do so in SE Europe and around the Black sea.

English has taken over from French, and to a large extent from German too - but possibly to a lesser extent, as Dutch and Scandinavians don't find German too difficult to understand, and Germany is Europe's powerhouse now and for the foreseeable future.

The phrase '.... agus fáilte' is in FGB as per my link above also.

The discussion re béarlachas is grand, but is a bit of a tangent. We're better off giving answers to the OP's question.

Advertisement