Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing your mucous plug?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies, I know this is probably waaay TMI but a question for those who have given birth.

So with my first baby, I gradually lost mucous plug for about a week before I went into labour (never had a bloody show). I went 3 or 4 days early with him.

I'm due my second on Monday and I was sure she was going to come early. Have been told by many people that it would be rare enough to go over on your second especially if you went early on your first. Statistically you'd be more likely to go early on second aswell. Although I do know a few who went early on first and late on second.

So my question is: has everyone who has given birth near or after their due date always lost their mucous plug be it in one go or gradually. Just feel because I haven't been losing it like last time labour could be ages away! I know you can lose it down toilet ect... But you'd also lose a bit gradually or feel or when you wipe. I literally have NOTHING. I know this is a bit nuts for a thread... I just feel like I'm never going to get to see my little girl :(. Would give me a little relief if I heard if some ladies who started losing it only a day or 2 before they went into labour and had nothing at all beforehand.

Sorry about the nuttiness....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I lost mine gradually on I think the Tuesday to Thursday, then went into labour on the Friday ... I know some women don't lose it at all until they're already in labour! Oh and I was six days overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, I know this is probably waaay TMI but a question for those who have given birth.

So with my first baby, I gradually lost mucous plug for about a week before I went into labour (never had a bloody show). I went 3 or 4 days early with him.

I'm due my second on Monday and I was sure she was going to come early. Have been told by many people that it would be rare enough to go over on your second especially if you went early on your first. Statistically you'd be more likely to go early on second aswell. Although I do know a few who went early on first and late on second.

So my question is: has everyone who has given birth near or after their due date always lost their mucous plug be it in one go or gradually. Just feel because I haven't been losing it like last time labour could be ages away! I know you can lose it down toilet ect... But you'd also lose a bit gradually or feel or when you wipe. I literally have NOTHING. I know this is a bit nuts for a thread... I just feel like I'm never going to get to see my little girl :(. Would give me a little relief if I heard if some ladies who started losing it only a day or 2 before they went into labour and had nothing at all beforehand.

Sorry about the nuttiness....

I didn't lose it until after my waters broke (which I didn't think was possible)! I remember thinking he can't come yet because I never had a show and being real peed off because everyone kept saying you always go over on first baby! I never got those Braxton hick things either! So you never know she could still come on Monday! My boy arrived on his due date that we got from early scan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Just getting so impatient... I don't think I can wait another week. Lol. And the thoughts that I'm just having no symptoms at all (ie mainly loss of mucous)... I hate the thoughts of perhaps having to be be induced aswell if she doesn't come on her own... Although my doc doesn't think that's going to happen. Spose I'll just have to resign myself to the fact she'll come when she's ready. Ahhhh another week or 2 is going to drive me mad....

Millem wrote: »
    I didn't lose it until after my waters broke (which I didn't think was possible)! I remember thinking he can't come yet because I never had a show and being real peed off because everyone kept saying you always go over on first baby! I never got those Braxton hick things either! So you never know she could still come on Monday! My boy arrived on his due date that we got from early scan :)

Yay! I still have hope.... Thank you!!! X

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I went two full weeks over due,had zero signs of labour,then the nite before i was due to be induced i lost my plug in the toilet. Everyone is different tho.

• Advertisement

Yay! I still have hope.... Thank you!!! X

Sligo I don't know if it helped but I tried to go for big walks every day and also lots of hoovering on my hands and knees! Lol lol this is what the midwives told us to do to get the baby moving! Plus I had one of those balls which was actually brill for early labour!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Millem wrote: »
    Sligo I don't know if it helped but I tried to go for big walks every day and also lots of hoovering on my hands and knees! Lol lol this is what the midwives told us to do to get the baby moving! Plus I had one of those balls which was actually brill for early labour!

Oh definitely get bouncing on that ball,i found it really did help,before and during labour,and now getting fit again!

Ya I've been on the ball for an hour every night the last couple weeks. Did that with number 1 aswell. Haven't been able to walk as much tho but running around a 15 month old. Tbh overall I'm probably not as active as I was with my first which is probably contributing....

Ya I've been on the ball for an hour every night the last couple weeks. Did that with number 1 aswell. Haven't been able to walk as much tho but running around a 15 month old. Tbh overall I'm probably not as active as I was with my first which is probably contributing....

My gp says "they come when they want to" and no amount of bouncing helps! I just did everything the midwives said as they would ask me at every appointment! I remember thinking I haven't had a show is he is still a week away! Then woke up at 1am with contractions! So you never know she could well make an appearance this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

On first I didn't lose my mucous plug at all, that or I didn't notice it. My waters broke at about 6am one morning.

On second and third my plug went about 12 hours before I went into actual labour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My pregnancies got longer as they went along 38,39 and 41 weeks!!
    I only remember loosing it with my 1st and there was about 18 hours between that and giving birth:)

Moonbeam wrote: »
    My pregnancies got longer as they went along 38,39 and 41 weeks!!
    I only remember loosing it with my 1st and there was about 18 hours between that and giving birth:)

Thanks all, it seems it really could happen anytime going by all of ye...

Moonbeam... R u aiming for 42 weeks this time?? Lols... I think I'd go mad. I really hope my pregnancies don't get progressively longer... I'm a terrible pregnant woman. But I'm sure once all is well and healthy it doesn't really matter at the end of the day does it... It seems to matter at the time tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've still 5 weeks to go and I'm wishing baby will come soon so I can only imagine what you're going through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I never lost it on my first either that or it went when waters went. I had a sweep on the thurs and waters broke fri night.
    Sligo ive resigned to giving up. He will come when hes ready. Between gp getting my hopes up telling me ill go early and then consultant telling me my dates have been wrong and ive gained an extra 8 days. I give up. He cant stay in there forever. Nothings going to work.
    Ive decided im going to just chill now and stop going mad cleaning and walking and stressing.
    Well im gona try anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Never lost it on my first. Lost it about two weeks before second.

From week 38 on in pregnancy is hell. I remember getting up from the bed after giving birth and thinking... OMG, I'm so LIGHT! And I've no heartburn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

My plug came out in one go,felt bad braxton hicks went to the bathroom and it was there the bloody show.knew what it was as there was a lot of it. This was morning of day ten over,baby was out and feeding by tea time. For me it was the start of a relatively quick labour. That was my first baby shes gone four months now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks all, it seems it really could happen anytime going by all of ye...

Moonbeam... R u aiming for 42 weeks this time?? Lols... I think I'd go mad. I really hope my pregnancies don't get progressively longer... I'm a terrible pregnant woman. But I'm sure once all is well and healthy it doesn't really matter at the end of the day does it... It seems to matter at the time tho :)

I love babies,love the bump but this pregnancy lark is too much.
    My 5 and 3 year olds are a great help and pick things up for me and put things away,my other half is pretty useless at helping with anything around the house or the kids and is rarely here during daylight anyway.
    It has to be after 5th of April as he will be away.
    I need it over,so sore and tired!!

Advertisement