Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This War of mine.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Great concept. I'm imagining the gameplay will be something like those sections in the Middle Eastern city in MGS4 where you had to sneak around dodging the PMCs who were fighting each other trying not to get caught in the crossfire.

I actually had a concept for a game where you play as a war journalist and you try to avoid the crossfire of different factions while trying to document a conflict. I think these guys stole my idea...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Great trailer and interesting idea but it will be interesting to see what the gameplay actually looks like
    Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    I actually had a concept for a game where you play as a war journalist and you try to avoid the crossfire of different factions while trying to document a conflict. I think these guys stole my idea...:pac:
    It's been done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Reekwind wrote: »

Thanks for that link...unfortunately the gameplay of that looks like pooh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Looks like a great idea. This is hopefully similar to the type of experience you have in Papers Please, there is a subtle game mechanic but the overwhelming feeling is one of being sucked into a believable world where you are anything but the superhuman saviour.

In a way the immersion offered by games have the potential to really deliver a powerful dystopian world on par with 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dimcoin

This looks like a nice break from all the COD clones that have come out lately. Would be interested if they added mechanics such as joining gangs/militias, scavenging for food, ensuring clean water, ect.

• Advertisement

dimcoin wrote: »
    This looks like a nice break from all the COD clones that have come out lately. Would be interested if they added mechanics such as joining gangs/militias, scavenging for food, ensuring clean water, ect.

I wouldn't like to see joinable gangs or militias. That only turns it into a shooter. Simple survival with warring factions with propaganda claiming to be there to help while their grunts are unpredictable and cruel to the civilians. Hence the description in the dev site:
    http://www.11bitstudios.com/games/16/this-war-of-mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Read about it today over on RPS, it sounded great.
    But I checked the price, and near $20 seems a bit much
    My most memorable encounter took place in the ruins of a garage.

Pointing and clicking my way through the building, I’d collected weapon parts, bundles of food and tobacco, and enough piles of scrap to build a metal crafting table. Valuable loot indeed. But then I saw red pulses in the room next door, moving toward the door, hesitant. Footsteps, the sound displayed so that I can keep track of the possible danger.

Despite the reliance on a point and click interface, scavenging missions are tense and offer decent stealth mechanics. Characters sneak around by default, nervously glancing over their shoulders and from side to side as they go, and they can peer through keyholes, throwing a narrow cone of vision into the next room, faltering and twitching as the observer seeks threats and treasures. I didn’t have the guts to check who was on the other side of the door though – I had a feeling THEY were looking through the keyhole at me.

So I ran. I ran as fast as I could and returned home a hero, with enough food to get us through at least another couple of days, and the makings of a crude pistol. We built a stove instead of a metal workshop because cooking the food helps to fend off hunger and who wants to eat raw carrots for the rest of their life, no matter how short that life might be? There was no new medicine in the haul and our feverish companion was becoming slower by the day, exhausted no matter how much sleep he got the night before.

I returned home a hero and remained a hero for less than a day. The lack of medicine was disappointing, the food that I’d expected to last two days was barely enough to stop stomachs from grumbling in complaint that same night, and we only had one bullet for the gun, and no means to make more. Great. I did manage to make a couple of smokes so that we could all sit around the broth and look miserable in some style.

When we slept that night, I sent my scavenger back to the garage. The other lootable locations were former homes, unlikely to contain mechanical parts and in better condition than the garage, so more likely to be home to other survivors. I knew there was someone in the garage but I thought it was someone, a loner who had been too cautious to take me on the night before. Now, one bullet might be enough to make all the difference if a confrontation occurred.

The garage’s occupant was a man, nervous and shabbily dressed. He approached me as soon as I arrived, asking if I had food to spare. My backpack was empty – I hadn’t brought anything along because I was saving the space for all the food I was going to take from the garage. Except, there was no food left. I’d taken it all the night before and now the man who I’d taken it from was starving. But I hadn’t brought anything that might help him, I’d only brought a gun.

As I couldn’t help, I decided not to waste the night and explored the rest of the garage anyway. I found a sleeping bag by a fire, surrounded by piles of scrap and wood. I took it all, even as the man followed me begging me to leave him with something. “I thought you were a good person”, he said at one point, or words to that effect. I forget the details.

When I returned to base, I found that the others had been beaten while they slept, by intruders who had taken the last of our food and a few piles of wood. These Ironies Of Mine.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/24/hands-on-this-war-of-mine/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That sounds excellent. Hopefully there are plenty of encounters like this, and they don't just end up repeating the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dimcoin

5uspect wrote: »
    I wouldn't like to see joinable gangs or militias. That only turns it into a shooter. Simple survival with warring factions with propaganda claiming to be there to help while their grunts are unpredictable and cruel to the civilians. Hence the description in the dev site:

Good point. I have my eye on this game for sure. I wish I had more time for video games!

Up on Steam now.
    Anyone gonna be getting this early ?
    I'll be goin onto Twitch to get a look at some plays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Been playing it today, so far it is very good. 2D point and click game. There is no open world city to explore but rather set locations to visit and scavenge from.

You start with three survivors in your safe house. You are here during the day, at night you go out to look for supplies but during the day you ensure you eat and build stuff.

Your safe house has a number of rooms and some early points to scavenge. Mainly wood and odd parts. You can start to build a few bits and bobs for the safe house. A furnace to keep warm, a cooker to make dinners, a bed to sleep in, a chair, a radio. Some work benches to make medical supplies, tools and weapons.

People will call to the house some will look to trade, others look for help. Some might ask to join. They bring new skills but also a new mouth to feed.

At 8pm it turns to "night" here you set up your plan for the night. Who gets to sleep, who is on guard and who is going out looting. Looters will attack your safe house, you only get a report in the morning saying your guard scared them off or if you didn't have a guard they got X items. You can barricade up the safe house to help.

One person goes on a loot run, a map shows the different location types, the type of item expected to find & risk levels. Some are empty buildings you just take stuff from. Others have people in them who you can trade with but will also attack if you try to steal. Others have thugs that will attack you.

So far I'm about 9 days in, got one new guy to join and have a decent enough safe house. It has 2 chairs, 1 armchair, 1 bed, a cooker, heater, radio, 2 work benches.

Meds and food are hard to come by so getting enough for 4 people is hard. Thankfully they don't have to eat every day but they will get sick and tired very quickly the longer you leave it.

But you soon turn into a prick. I broke into an old couples house and stole their stuff while they ran and hid upstairs. You only get to visit 1 location per night and can only carry a limited amount of things. So I couldn't waste the trip, I took what I could carry and ran home. :(

I like the art style and music, so far it has been money well spent. It's only €19 which is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks class, really hope it turns up on the PSN eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

The reviews on steam make it sound very interesting, I always tend to go for the good guy route in games but it sounds like this game makes it very hard to do so...challenge accepted!

Got one of my survivors killed on Night 10, acted the maggot searching a house. Came across a bathroom with a pile of mutilated bodies that had been "hacked up by a psycho". I should have turned and ran there and then but got greedy as i needed food badly. I jumped down on to a floor below through a big hole to search a cabinet without checking around properly. Then out of the shadows comes a shotgun to the chest.

Might be Karma for looting the medication from the hospital full of dying people the night before.

Lost a night, lost all the loot and the rest are all severely depressed over the killing.

Think i'll start over as the first few days were "learning how to play" anyway.

Dam this is grim.

What's the end goal ? Is it how long you can survive for ?
    If your characters are replaceable....does it mean it can continue ad infinitum whereby you will just be having new chars replacing old ones etc ...or is there a limit to the days ?

I really like the idea of the game, but I'd like to be working towards something I guess...one of the reasons I quickly got bored with "Don't starve"

I don't know to be honest, it does talk in game about people escaping the city but it does appear to be a last as long as you can game. Even when you re-load you get the continue or try again options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

The war lasts for a random length each game. Could be 30 days could be 100. Not sure what the minimum/maximum are.

Loving this game. The devastation I feel whenever I lose someone is unreal !

First time around I tried going the no killing route, until some **** killed Marko on me. Katya seemed to want to avenge him, so I sent her in and she murdered 4 ak toting bandits with a shovel. From there on in it was downhill, she was caught out on another scavenging and got herself killed too. Left poor Bruno on his own. Didn't last long then.

2nd Time round i'm going full murder mode. I'm expecting to lost most people to suicide at this stage because they're all depressed over the atrocities they've committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Day 30 and winter has set in. We worked hard in the early weeks to build a shelter that gave us some respite, a place to call home. We stocked up our supplies of food and medicine and even have ample tobacco, a valuable commodity, which helps to keep spirits up.

Despite this, even with two furnaces on full blast it is proving impossible to keep the temperature above 7°C and Katia has fallen ill. Several courses of meds and some bed rest has not improved her condition and it seems that if this cold doesn't let up soon she might be in real trouble.

To make matters worse, Marko who has selflessly leapt over the back wall every evening for the past 20 days to bring back crucial supplies now lies a broken man, in the depths of despair. On a routine scavenging run the other night he found himself cornered by an armed man and woman in the basement of a hotel. Food and medicine were low and he couldn't afford to run, empty handed. So in the heat of the moment he drew hist pistol and put the man down. As the woman darted at him he did for her too, even as she slumped over her companion's body and the word "Murderer!" escaped her lips.

The rest of the band's moods have suffered on hearing this news - none of us have ever killed before, what have we become? And with Marko rocking back and forth in the fetal position we've just heard a bang on the door. Militia men, demanding that we open up.

Bought this last night but havent had time to play it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

This game sounds so interesting, but I don't know if I'll be fit for the bleakness of it, to be honest. Papers, Please got to me that way after a while.

I'd be interested in watching some videos, though.

How long is a day in the game?

• Advertisement

Never timed it but it feels like around 10-15 mins. It is tight to get everything you want done so you need everyone pulling their weight. You can skip to the night if you are finished early so you are not just waiting. Similar time frame for the night, get in get your stuff and get out. I got caught out at dawn one night, you don't die, the character just takes longer to get back home so you can't use the supplies they gathered. If you have three starving or sick people waiting on food and meds it can kill them.

It is bleak. Last game just there I got Katia and Pavel killed, tried to go on with Bruno and got a new guy Anton but he was old and injured so could only carry 8 items when savaging. (Pavel could carry 12) makes it really hard as one person had to sleep all night so got constantly robbed, this got worse when the crime broke out in the city.

Got one new person Majia to join but she got shot in a warehouse raid, same night Anton died from his wounds as I couldn't get bandages. Poor Bruno had a mental breakdown just sat on the floor crying, couldn't do anything, couldn't build anything, cook anything or trade, just sat there crying uncontrollably. Bleak is right :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I managed to make it to the end on the first try with nobody dying. Second try is proving much more difficult, we're safe and generally well equipped, but food and weapons are really hard to come by this time. Weapons... for defense of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Patser

Found this thread

Bought the game

Engrossing but now I'm a little depressed

Let a retired School teacher stay in the house. She's fecking useless and now I want to throw her out. Game makes you a monster, like a personality test with answers you don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I got it last night, only played a few days so still feeling my way around. Very original (to me at least), and I don't mind the darkness of it, keeps you on edge! I can't handle MMO or Online games, I need to be able to get up and walk away if a kid calls! So this suits me fine...

Some info on the game, really glad to see it doing so well and the studio are making money. It got a big update yesterday with some bug fixes and new locations. Still haven't made it to the end of the war but from the pic below it looks lie only 11% ever have so i don't feel too bad :D

unnamed.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This comment appeared on my facebook about a comment from the devs found under the game torrent on facebook. Fairly classy out of the devs, they really didn't need to do that. I'd say the codes are well used up but they're there if you wanna try. Really hope this makes it to PSN.

"Hey guys!

It's Karol from 11 bit studios, the developers of This War of Mine.

We are really happy to hear that you like our game. They prove, that spending 2 years on it was worth it.

I would like to say thank you to everyone, who decides to buy the game and support us - because of that we'll be able to develop TWoM further and create even better games in the future.

If because of some reasons you can't buy the game, it's ok. We know life, and we know, that sometimes it's just not possible.

Here are some codes for the steam copy of the game, so some of you can take a look at it. And if you like the game after spending few hours in, then just spread the word, and you'll help us a lot.

Enjoy!

PF3Q4-IVQ86-T53KP
    H8IW9-07JPH-FR5ZM
    J70B9-4RAGP-2EILP
    8FGE9-T2HYF-WBEA9
    G6J6Z-WYXPP-8B42N
    BDD8R-WNJPX-RJR66
    WR47R-DAGGN-K030Y
    PBPCZ-I4PGT-TI4EY
    89BE4-EW45W-JA8ZL
    XVQL4-80DDC-YPX7A"

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Doriain123

All codes have been used. Game seems very interesting from what i have seen on twitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Update on my play.

I had to restart after losing 1 person to a sniper and then 2 to cold. But as my first game, I made lots of mistakes.

Up to about day 40 now with 3 players, although I lost Marko (great scavenger), which is a blow.
    Definately build some traps, which can double your meat every day and keep starvation away.
    Always need wood for the fire and water filters.
    Make your moonshine still and then alcohol distillery, great for trading at the door or the outpost.

I haven't found an ideal solution for where to pillage, just choose day by day. Once you have a few thing that you can build/grow/ferment with, I could even stay indoors the odd night (when I only had 2 people) to rest and protect my stuff. Having the reinforced door helps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Really enjoying the game. The new update where you can pick different starting scenarios adds a lot of variety and difficulty. I really hope they keep updating, especially to do something with inventory space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Picked this up in the recent Steam sale and wow. I usually find while playing games with morality involved that I do what makes my life easiest whether that be good or bad. It never becomes an issue of my own conscience but this game... I knew there was a house with an old couple that I could just raid but I stayed away until things were extremely dire and even then I only took what I felt I needed. And when down to my last survivor, wounded, raided and doomed, instead of restarting I went on one last doomed scavenge to steal some cigarettes for him. This wasn't about trying to survive anymore, that was impossible. The game was over. But I just couldn't let this "sprite" die without some tiny last pleasure.
    I've never experienced that before. That moment where you know all is lost but you want to give your character the best you can instead of just quitting and restarting.

Advertisement