Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Coil Wrapping PLEASE

Options
  • 13-03-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi i got this wire http://www.bargainvapour.com/Nichrome_Wire_-_016mm/p1274299_10936468.aspx im guessing its probably not what i should have got, anymay.

Made one coil about 12 wraps on a 3mm drill bit it came out at 6.5omh lmao

i cant find anything smaller, how many wraps should i be doing with this wire for 1.5 -2 omh coil please please pretty please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

Ah memories.

I bought this coil to make simple Evoid coils (you're probably making some micro/nano type ish?).

5/6 wraps = 3.6ohm. WTF. Oh I need .32mm. That's what everybody says 32. It's twice the size so will obv be half the ohm simple. Another week, it arrives and no, that's not how it works at all.

3rd order worked a charm. .20mm/32AWG 5/6 times on a toothpick =2-2.3ohm which is where I thought I wanted to be, although I might go back to 1.8 or at least mix it up.

Anyway, more competent posters will surely be along now/have already arrived.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

3mm drill bit....?? Largest I use is 1.6mm, above poster is right, use a cocktail stick, or take a look around, wire coat hanger comes to mind.....will check some household things and post the diameter here......

Standard dry cleaning wire hanger - 2mm exactly....

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

I dont care if its micro macro or feckin hippo as long as its 1.5 - 2 omh lol

Can i make anything with this .16mm stuff apart from a cheese cutter :D

KK located some of the finest toothpicks how many wraps about would you hazard a guess

Use less wraps and go as small as 1mm I have made nano coils that small and they work fine....fiddly though to get cotton through.

Cheese cutter...yes, very good for that indeed :D

• Advertisement

Yeah i was thinkin when i saw the toothpick that would be a tight hole to fill lol

masonchat wrote: »
    KK located some of the finest toothpicks how many wraps about would you hazard a guess

Tbh at that diameter, micro coils might be necessary to get 1.8ohm.

Micro coils are usually 12 wraps but all bunched (technical term) together so that you basically get a hollow, solid tube of a coil where the heat travels along the coil much quicker. Lots of good youtube vids.

I got one at 12 wraps to fit in my evod head but it was only 1.5ohm so didn't use.

4-5 wraps on toothpick regular style (ie a gap between each turn of wire) may still only come down to about 3ohms.

The above should be taken as advice from a very inexperienced coil builder.

You can also twist two pieces of the wire together which will halve the resistance for you and works very well.....have been doing so for some time now and they are way stronger too....

No reason you could not do three pieces either etc etc.....a rope coil :)

I take it you have a meter to measure the resistance, a small bit of practice and you will be doing it with your eyes closed...

Edit, give that Niochrome a dry burn before you use it, mine tastes toxic unless I do so....perfect when I do though....you will see the gunk burning off....

GOT one 2.5omh about 6 wraps, now if i wanted to go lower next time 4 or 5 wraps ??

GOT one 2.5omh about 6 wraps, now if i wanted to go lower next time 4 or 5 wraps ??

Yep.

Shorter the amount of wire you use (in regular style only), the less resistance.

• Advertisement

Try and wrap 2mm...inside of a biro...check diff types....but try as I suggested twisting two wires together and then wrapping coil.

I use this technique on NR/R wire as they only come as low as 2 ohms and I get 1 ohm coil from it that lasts way longer too....

dePeatrick wrote: »
    You can also twist two pieces of the wire together which will halve the resistance for you and works very well.....have been doing so for some time now and they are way stronger too....

No reason you could not do three pieces either etc etc.....a rope coil :)

I take it you have a meter to measure the resistance, a small bit of practice and you will be doing it with your eyes closed...

Edit, give that Niochrome a dry burn before you use it, mine tastes toxic unless I do so....perfect when I do though....you will see the gunk burning off....

so do what i just did with 2 strands maybe extra turn or 2 should do me , great thank guys , id be inhaling kettle fumes only for ye lol , yeah i burned it alright makes it a bit more pliable i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I use one of these to make the coils more pliable...

https://www.fasttech.com/p/1134600

& I use these ready made coils because I'm a lazy bastard :D

They work admirably with cotton wicks ;)

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007182/1591801-pre-coiled-welded-wires-nr-r-nr-50-pack

so do what i just did with 2 strands maybe extra turn or 2 should do me , great thank guys , id be inhaling kettle fumes only for ye lol , yeah i burned it alright makes it a bit more pliable i think

Yes it does make it more pliable, I used to do this but now prefer to twist and make the coil first and then give a quick burn in the mod......found after a while that the stiffer wires are easier to work with...

Just to say....I started out making them under a magnifying glass with a powerful light, I have weak eyes....nowadays I can make a coil and rebuild an RDA without even my glasses, we do far more with a sense of touch/feel than we realise...:)

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I use these bad boys because I'm a lazy bastard :D

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10007182/1591801-pre-coiled-welded-wires-nr-r-nr-50-pack

Oh wow.....I had not seen those.....Mmmmm thanks for that.

I use these bad boys because I'm a lazy bastard :D

What the hell? They're welded as well!

So, if it takes a month for delivery, and I too am a lazy swine, I should order them...er, now?

What a world :D

amazing what we can do /learn when we got a habit more like lol

accaguest wrote: »
    What the hell? They're welded as well!

So, if it takes a month for delivery, and I too am a lazy swine, I should order them...er, now?

What a world :D

They are resistance wire (the part that gets hot) welded to no resistance wire...idea being that the legs (no resistance) don't get hot and scorch plastic bits.....needed in some atomisers, others not.

You can get the NR/R wire from Vaperus.ie in packs if 50 if you don't want to wait a month for fastech and wrap them yourself.

dePeatrick wrote: »
    They are resistance wire (the part that gets hot) welded to no resistance wire...idea being that the legs (no resistance) don't get hot and scorch plastic bits.....needed in some atomisers, others not.

You can get the NR/R wire from Vaperus.ie in packs if 50 if you don't want to wait a month for fastech and wrap them yourself.

Yeah, I'd looked at them but had bought so much bloody wire to get my first working coil I said no more. :o

The nr is supposed to prevent your gromit from heating/burning? I haven't noticed marks/a taste yet, but I don't double my leg wires and find that very tricky to do so I may need them.

Only some of my evod original coils were welded, I'm not sure if they were all r/nr though.

accaguest wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd looked at them but had bought so much bloody wire to get my first working coil I said no more. :o

The nr is supposed to prevent your gromit from heating/burning? I haven't noticed marks/a taste yet, but I don't double my leg wires and find that very tricky to do so I may need them.

Only some of my evod original coils were welded, I'm not sure if they were all r/nr though.
    Am pretty sure your evod coils would have been, over time the heat will scorch the rubber grommet and depending on what you are using....I use an eBaron dripper all the time and it has rubber grommets so when I drop to 1ohm or less it makes a big difference. Would get away without using NR/R wire but the grommets will eventually cook....

There is a steep learning curve but you will be amazed how quickly you will pick it all up......I started vaping about 6 months ago and did not have a clue about it then but reading in here and ECF and youtube also is a great resource of both dodgy and great videos....

• Advertisement

ITS vaping well anyway lads thanks

I twisted the 2 wires and did 6 wraps to rebuild the H2 clearo , it came out a lovely 1.3omh , i was surprised the my ego will fire this and my kick in my mod fires it too , is this odd ?

Works great though, i know it could over drain EGO so have it on kicked mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It will lessen the life of your eGo but you're probably just about on the precipice of drawing too much from it.

The 1.3ohm is pretty much ideal for a kick, gives the full range of wattage without breaking any limits and still has a quick heat-up time (unless you have very thick wire coiled 20 times).

I use these ready made coils because I'm a lazy bastard :D

I can't stop clicking this link, it's cracking me up.

It took me so long to get my first coil working. I had to make 3 seperate orders to get the right wire. Two weeks later and little bits of cut-off wire all over the dining room table I was so proud.

But look at them there. There's so many. For $2.

China. Jesus Christ :D

EDIT: Will these arrive squashed out of shape? somebody asks. Lol. It's too good to be true. I'm tempted to order 1000 (only $40!) just to see what a bag of 1000 coils looks like.

I know.....I too wonder what a bag if 1,000 coils looks like.....:)

I'm sure they have a myriad of other uses too. A gift for that special someone in your life, payment for public transport etc.

The potential of coils is unlimited at this early stage :D

Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be...a coil.

That will be 7 euro please.

My good man, do you take COILS?

Let's have a look at what this idiot did. IN AMERICA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Has anyone used a jig for wrapping?

There's the Dark Zero version.

And a simple home made thing.

Advertisement