Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

put a value on these lads

Options
  • 13-03-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

just wondering what people would think these lads in the pictures would make in the mart, been feeding them all winter and trying to deciede if if should turn out soon or head straight to the mart.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

solorpower wrote: »
    just wondering what people would think these lads in the pictures would make in the mart, been feeding them all winter and trying to deciede if if should turn out soon or head straight to the mart.:rolleyes:

. White heads don't get much at marts. Maybe. 700 to 850 euro at mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭solorpower

thanks on the river,
    would they make more at the back end of the year?

i usually find april the best time to sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Jesus they'd want to be making 400 to 450 with the weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Jesus they'd want to be making 400 to 450 with the weight!

Smashing cattle .won't they be fit to kill in 6 months.....is the sire ur own bull ...he is worth minding

sire, was my own bull, i actullly sold him to a guy in Kerry last year. i hope he got some nice calevs out of them.
    those calves in the picture are out of angus cows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What age are they solar ? They arent hungry thats for sure !

def not hungry thats for sure,
    i do hold back on the feeding thats for sure,

i do believe that feeding well gives you some chance,

of the 3 blacks the biggest was born in March and the middle lad was born in April last year.
    the 3rd guy was an august born calf but is definitly the best animal of all 3

the young guy has a bit of a look of continental about him but is 50%angus and 50% HE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I've some very similar stock I bought last autumn, same heads as yours but out of shorthorn x cows, they have a reddish tinge along their back line

not as well done as yours though, hope to let them off to grass next week

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

def not hungry thats for sure,
    i do hold back on the feeding thats for sure,

i do believe that feeding well gives you some chance,

of the 3 blacks the biggest was born in March and the middle lad was born in April last year.
    the 3rd guy was an august born calf but is definitly the best animal of all 3

the young guy has a bit of a look of continental about him but is 50%angus and 50% HE.

Fair play, you have them in good order, what type feed and how much are they getting?
    I'd be inclined to finish them if you could. Fine cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Black Baldies - lovely cattle

Would love to see how these would do profit wise on a calf to beef system when compared to CH or BB

I reckon for a set area of land they kick the conti's ass!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Cattle like that would finish quickly on grass. They love these type of cattle in the states where they measure profit per acre not price in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

where they squeezed? no. . . . . and at that age, i take it they wont be.

if i ever had calves, i think id squeeze them as a 3 month old, and sell them on . . .

its the same animal im practically buying now for 850/950

chx
    lmx
    AA
    etc. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Sold 8 month old yesterday 310kg 610 euro.. Calf was bought as cow lost original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

I do not normally finish cattle but i might with these guys. Only trouble is they are still full bulls and all know they can be more trouble. If i do what live weight should i be aiming for?
    Cattle like that would finish quickly on grass. They love these type of cattle in the states where they measure profit per acre not price in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bellview wrote: »
    Sold 8 month old yesterday 310kg 610 euro.. Calf was bought as cow lost original

What breed & what mart.
    Sounds poor if ch or lm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Farrell wrote: »
    What breed & what mart.
    Sounds poor if ch or lm

He in castleisland calf tall. He was bought to manage a ped cow who lost a calf and did his job. If he was a bullock would be worth another 50 approx. it was also his 4 the move so may not have helped. He cost 120. If I bought lim or ch I may have made more in price but they would have cost lot more to buy.

Advertisement