Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submersiable Well Pump

Options
  • 13-03-2014 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

A quick question for those of you who have them.

We are having ongoing problems with the water supply to our new house on the mains. We are soon going to be charged for the water that we use - we only get a trickle. We have the option of an upgrade, but because of the location of the house, we are the last on the line. All other houses have sufficient supply and aren't willing to contribute to the 15% cost of the upgrade needed. We are looking at a bill of almost €10k for the upgrade. We cannot justify that!

We have a bored well on the farm. The plan this year was to put in a submersiable pump - it's 150ft deep, to feed the sheds and drinkers. Now we are thinking about investing in a larger pump which will supply the house as well.

The problem:

House is 500 meters away from the well.
    House is 50 meters higher than the top of the well.

Will a submersiable pump be able to pump water up that far to our house and still deliver reasonable pressure?

Anyone pumping similar distances or heights?

Anyone able to put a figure on what it's costing to run their pump in electricity for a year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

client as esb bill of 600-700e per 2 months for a dry stock farm. Take away 150/200e for the house and you could be looking at €250/300 for well and 100e for rest of farm (electric fence, odd light on etc)

would you not consider using well for the farm and stay on the mains for the house? and putting in larger header tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

client as esb bill of 600-700e per 2 months for a dry stock farm. Take away 150/200e for the house and you could be looking at €250/300 for well and 100e for rest of farm (electric fence, odd light on etc)

would you not consider using well for the farm and stay on the mains for the house? and putting in larger header tank?

Large header tank already in. Had to install a pump in the garage to pump the water up to it because pressure got so bad. So I'm paying electricity for that and will be paying for water soon too.

That bill sounds very expensive. Current ESB coming in at no more than €200 every 2 months and that's with the whole farm on top of it - sheds, fence etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

We have our own water supply here feeding milk replacer to 150 calves yrly and 30 suckler cows the farm bill is only 130 every 2 months this includes all power usage and we have 2 houses on the water supply and a 100ltr water heater something doesnt add up there I use the farm supply for all welding and repairs and electric fence. There is no problem in pumping any distance the pressure might drop a little but it is not noticeable here any way.

Lakill i would say he is giving you the household bill as the farm one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

reilig wrote: »

We are having ongoing problems with the water supply to our new house on the mains. We are soon going to be charged for the water that we use - we only get a trickle. We have the option of an upgrade, but because of the location of the house, we are the last on the line. All other houses have sufficient supply and aren't willing to contribute to the 15% cost of the upgrade needed. We are looking at a bill of almost €10k for the upgrade. We cannot justify that!

We have a bored well on the farm. The plan this year was to put in a submersiable pump - it's 150ft deep, to feed the sheds and drinkers. Now we are thinking about investing in a larger pump which will supply the house as well.

The problem:

Will a submersiable pump be able to pump water up that far to our house and still deliver reasonable pressure?

Anyone able to put a figure on what it's costing to run their pump in electricity for a year?

Selection of pumps here, where you can select suitable option. http://www.epswater.ie/eps-pumps/submersible-pumps.781.html

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

My pump is 500m from yard and parlour and dwelling but at same height. Esb meter just for water costs about 250 per 2 month. Loads of water and good pressure best pump in the world wont give good volume and pressure with small pipes. So that is where your problem probably lies atm.
    Water costs money as my pump last about 8 years due to fine grit in well. Think it cost 1300 for pump.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

The problem:

Well I am pumping similar distances but I'm not using a submersible because a normal pump was originally installed 35 years ago and was replaced by a newer one 10 years ago.

My set up is a pump with a 100 litre pressurised expansion tank in a pump house approx 50 meters away from the well which would be about 10m lower and about 8m deep. The sheds are about 200m away and maybe 30m higher and the parents house is a further 200m away and about 10m higher than the shed.

The sheds and pump house are on the same meter and my bill during the summer is normally around the €40 mark and double that during the winter. The well supplies all the drinkers in that block as well.

That's way to expensive unless he's pumping water to the local council. Or in dairy I suppose with all the washings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

st1979 wrote: »
    My pump is 500m from yard and parlour and dwelling but at same height. Esb meter just for water costs about 250 per 2 month. Loads of water and good pressure best pump in the world wont give good volume and pressure with small pipes. So that is where your problem probably lies atm.
    Water costs money as my pump last about 8 years due to fine grit in well. Think it cost 1300 for pump.

Currently not using the well. Problem with my mains pressure is a 3/4 inch pipe feeding 18 connections over a distance of 2 miles.

I imagine that parlour would be a big water user?

On average I'd say that between the house and farm we would use less than 3 m3 per day - that's 3000 litres. Less in summer as a lot of fields are served with pasture pump and more in winter because of cows in sheds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The problem:

Our well is 280ft deep and were 300 meters from the well, up a similar head height.
    We have a buffer tank in the garage, about 40galons. Fills via a ballcock and then there is a secondary pump feeding the house, except for the water at the kitchen sink which is fed directly from the well to have fresh drinking water and for tea.

No idea what the pump costs to run :o, without a power consumption meter its too hard to work out. The pump running is one thing but with such regular start's it would be pure guess rather than estimate, the frequency of the starts depends on the pressure vessel set-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

A 1 kw pump which is big pump run 24 hrs a day for 60 days at 18 cent a unit comes to 260 per 2 months.most pumps go in at max .5 kw and run for lets say 4 hrs at 18 cent for 2 months comesto 130 e which is close to euro a day which is the general guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

keep going wrote: »
    A 1 kw pump which is big pump run 24 hrs a day for 60 days at 18 cent a unit comes to 260 per 2 months.most pumps go in at max .5 kw and run for lets say 4 hrs at 18 cent for 2 months comesto 130 e which is close to euro a day which is the general guide

my pump bill is 75 euros over 2 months,feeds 2 houses and on average 45 cows and calves all year, but the sub pump is pumping down hill and for most of it its inch and a quarter piping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

keep going wrote: »
    Considerably more power is consumed instantly on startup, so its not just a matter of working out the running cost with a pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Sunk well near the house so no issue with pressure, well is 150 deep but a I know. Lot round here are much deeper. Get the pump sized right for the dept and capacity and there will be no issue.

Can't understand why any farm would not have thier own well. Mains water is really only suitable for houses and those near a urban centre and that's expecting the water to actually be delivered at a proper quality.

The lad that did my well does lots for dairy farms near here. What a number of people have done is put in a large tank at the highest point on the farm and pump to it at night under night saver. The capacity is large enough to provide enough water for the day and if more is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

bbam wrote: »
    Considerably more power is consumed instantly on startup, so its not just a matter of working out the running cost with a pump.

Could be but im just playing around with estimates.im down 450 ft in the well plus another 100ft head

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

The problem:

Don't know why you see any of this as a big problem?

Any 3/4 hp submersible will pump all the water you want.
    Have well here 150ft with donkeys years( had a 15ft open one before with a pump before)
    Supplies 3 houses farm and all cattle up to 200 of them including cows during the summer.
    Every 10 yrs or so it packs up and just replace it.
    Must have 5 miles of piping all sizes from 1/2 up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi Relig,
    150 foot is not a particularly deep well. Even with the house 50 metres higher than the well, you are still lifting the water 300 feet, and a submersible pump will easily manage that. If your farmyard is a lot lower than the house, then any leak in that direction will instantly take from the house supply, as well as cause the pump to stop/start continuously. Not good for the pump, or the ESB bill. Hopefully you do not have too much lime in the well water, or worse still, hydrogen sulphide (sulphur).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hi Relig,
    150 foot is not a particularly deep well. Even with the house 50 metres higher than the well, you are still lifting the water 300 feet, and a submersible pump will easily manage that. If your farmyard is a lot lower than the house, then any leak in that direction will instantly take from the house supply, as well as cause the pump to stop/start continuously. Not good for the pump, or the ESB bill. Hopefully you do not have too much lime in the well water, or worse still, hydrogen sulphide (sulphur).

totally agree,

one way to cut the number of times a pump, cuts in and out is install a large header tank

we modified ours last year by putting an extra 2 tanks in series with the one already in situ, made a massive difference

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

jt65 wrote: »
    totally agree,

one way to cut the number of times a pump, cuts in and out is install a large header tank

we modified ours last year by putting an extra 2 tanks in series with the one already in situ, made a massive difference

also its going to depend on where your pressure vessel is going, , at the top of the well or at your house. i don't know what difference the "off set" makes, but a pump man Will set you straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

One thing I see with pumps that will increase electricity usage is not topping up the precharge in the pressure vessel. Had a lad near me complaining about an ESB bill of 1400 for 2 houses and dairy enterprise on 2 occasions. The poor sub pump was running constant because vessel precharge was almost gone. Was never topped up. Check it at least once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

One thing I see with pumps that will increase electricity usage is not topping up the precharge in the pressure vessel. Had a lad near me complaining about an ESB bill of 1400 for 2 houses and dairy enterprise on 2 occasions. The poor sub pump was running constant because vessel precharge was almost gone. Was never topped up. Check it at least once a year.

Interesting... How do you check it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

49801 wrote: »

Use a pressure gauge/ foot pump, any device with an air pressure gauge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

49801 wrote: »

Well what I do is switch off pump open a tap and let water drain down. Leave the tap open then check pressure with a tyre gauge of some sort. Should be around 28 psi. Any handy car compressor will do to top it up.

Advertisement