Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Midwives in Galway offering Homebirths?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know of Midwives in the East Galway area that offer homebirth services outside of the HSE SECM's Scheme?

I am in a quandary, I have been trying to organise a Homebirth for around the 13th Oct for the last 4 weeks (Since I was only 6 weeks pregnant.) All the SECMs in the area are fully booked up. I have been able to make contact with one Midwife who is further away, but as a result will have increased charges above what the HSE fund.

I was onto my Health Insure Glo Health. They have a "Grant in Aid" of up to €4,000 available, but this is only available if I go through a Private Midwife, separate from the HSE SECM.

I did not think there were any midwives operating outside of the SECM scheme anymore? I thought that the Insurance Market now refused to provide Clinical Indemnity Insurance for Independent Midwives?

Would anyone have experience with this know more about it? Or how to find a Private Midwife?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭AshAdele

http://homebirth.ie/index.php/information-and-faq/list-of-practicing-homebirth-midwives

from what i know the list above are ALL the SECM (private) midwifes working in Ireland. if all of the Galway midwifes on this list are fully booked up then i think you may be out of luck.

if you are willing to have the baby in the hospital but would prefer to have all the care associated with homebirths before and after then why not try http://neighbourhoodmidwives.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Thanks AshAdele,
    I'm not ready to give up on a home birth just yet.
    I'm annoyed with the conditions being placed on me by my health insurer. Making it look like they support home birth, when in actual fact they don't.
    I am hoping to get official confirmation somewhere about limitations on Clinical Indemnity insurance for Private Midwives.
    If I have this, I hope I will be able to force the insurers hand. (ie offer to contact the insurance ombudsman.) If they would fund the extra costs relating to the midwife having to travel from further a field I would be happy.
    If this does not work out for me, I am contemplating writing to the HSE officials, there complaint service and TD's.

Advertisement