Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerrygold butter

Options
  • 13-03-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭

Usually €2.95 for 454g everywhere, Lidl have it for €2.45 at the moment so I got two. I already had one from Dunnes in the fridge and I noticed they are slightly different shaped packs. When I read the information on the packs I see that the Dunnes one is packed under franchise by Glanbia Kilkenny whereas the Lidl is packed under franchise by Town of Monaghan Co-op.

I suspect that all butter is the same anyway and there are cheaper products than €2.45. But if anyone likes Kerrygold particularly get it now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi/Lidl own butter retails at 2.19 all the time and is as good a Kerrygold imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Agent Bubbles

I do get Dairygold(?), Kerrygold would break your heart trying to spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The generic non-branded butter is €2.19 in Dunnes etc and is no different from the branded butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Cheaper ones are usually reconstituted buttermilk or whey and palm oil if you turn them all over in tesco one of the cheap tesco ones is identical to the nicer ones can't remember which. I'm by no means an eco warrior but palm oil production destroys arable land, forestry and habitat in developing countries so I try to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

moodrater wrote: »
    Cheaper ones are usually reconstituted buttermilk or whey and palm oil if you turn them all over in tesco one of the cheap tesco ones is identical to the nicer ones can't remember which. I'm by no means an eco warrior but palm oil production destroys arable land, forestry and habitat in developing countries so I try to avoid.

Whatever you are describing there it isn't butter. The only ingredients you will see listed on any butter cheap or dear is Pasteruised Milk and Salt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Dairygold isn't butter. If you want a spreadable butter go for Connacht Court butter in a tub. I use their low fat butter but they also have a full fat version. These are actual butter, not a dairy spread.

I don't know if it's just because I'm used to low fat butter now but I find Kerrygold to be quite salty these days

• Registered Users Posts: 38 T K

Do you mean Connacht Gold? It's lovely. Much nicer than the I-can-totally-believe-it's-not-butter spreads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Get a butter dish - keep it out of the fridge. Problem sorted. Even a cheap Tupperware box will do.

Fake butter is manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Dunnes own brand has the same EU plant number as Kerrygold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

niallam wrote: »

ugh disgusting, I hope none of that cheap crap contaminates my Kerrygold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Supervalu butter is the same as the branded one beside it. Dunnes is the same.

Tesco butter varies, check the plant number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Toast

stimpson wrote: »
    Get a butter dish - keep it out of the fridge. Problem sorted. Even a cheap Tupperware box will do.

Fake butter is manky.

+1. Also if its particularly cold in your kitchen and the butter is still hard in the morning split off as much as you need onto a small plate and microwave on defrost for about 10 seconds. You'll need to adjust for plate used, microwave, how much butter etc but if you get it right it'll just be spreadable soft. If it separates (you'll hear it start to spit) use less time/power next time until you get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

niallam wrote: »

That's a very useful bit of information, thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Whatever you are describing there it isn't butter. The only ingredients you will see listed on any butter cheap or dear is Pasteruised Milk and Salt.

Sorry, brain malfuntion!

Advertisement