Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible- re sfp and young farmers top up?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine and it is a friend as in not me, has inherited and started farming fathers farm, he is young trained qualified farmer 35, has land transferred so about to do entitlements and herd number when he received advice to hold off doing that til 2015 as he will be better off with 5 full years of the top up

So if he puts sfp through in dads name this year for one last year .. My question is will the Dept of Ag not find out land is in sons name now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    A friend of mine and it is a friend as in not me, has inherited and started farming fathers farm, he is young trained qualified farmer 35, has land transferred so about to do entitlements and herd number when he received advice to hold off doing that til 2015 as he will be better off with 5 full years of the top up

So if he puts sfp through in dads name this year for one last year .. My question is will the Dept of Ag not find out land is in sons name now?

Can father lease land back from son?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bmccaff

Bodacious, I just put up reply i got back from CAP enquires on a different thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057162074

dosent matter who owns land that is claimed on as long as they have owners premission. a simple lease agreement will suffice and just exchange small sum of money to make it legit.
    You would be better holding out until 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Will it make a difference in this case though?

The question to ask (and they are answering their emails, I had a query replied to in a couple of days) is whether or not the young farmer topup will stop once they turn 40.

if it does then I think it'll make no difference.

sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Will it make a difference in this case though?

The question to ask (and they are answering their emails, I had a query replied to in a couple of days) is whether or not the young farmer topup will stop once they turn 40.

if it does then I think it'll make no difference.

sorry :(

It doesn't stop when they reach 40.

Even if he was 39 at time of farm take over in 2015, he would get the 25% top up for 5 years after that to the age of 44.
    He just has to be under 40 years in order to get the top up in the first place!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Yes, holding out till 2015 will work out better.

I am in this situation myself.

I had a separate issue where the Dept wouldn't issue me with a herd number until I had a shed on the land I am leasing form Dad. So with TAMS2 coming at the back end of the year its all falling together nicely... (Though I am waiting for another f**k up along the way!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

reilig wrote: »
    It doesn't stop when they reach 40.

Even if he was 39 at time of farm take over in 2015, he would get the 25% top up for 5 years after that to the age of 44.
    He just has to be under 40 years in order to get the top up in the first place!

Wow, that's actually decent so.

hold till 15 if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Wow, that's actually decent so.

hold till 15 if that's the case.

25% of national average as was pointed out on another thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Sami23

Bodacious wrote: »

All depends if he will get the SFP this year or if the Father will keep the money if it comes to him and in his name.
    My point is it doesn't really make much difference which year he takes over as if he takes over this year he WILL get SFP this year and 4 years 25% top up and if he takes over next year he WON'T get any SFP this year but will get 5 years 25% top up so will probably end up similar money wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Why wait until 2015? I am in this position myself where land has been transferred and about to do herd and SFP for this year. Any Teagasc advisor or private consultant that I've asked hasn't a clue what changes are coming next year.

Is it written in stone that if you takeover this year, as young qualified farmer, you'll only get the top up for 4 years instead of 5, or is it just surmising?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

munkus wrote: »
    Why wait until 2015? I am in this position myself where land has been transferred and about to do herd and SFP for this year. Any Teagasc advisor or private consultant that I've asked hasn't a clue what changes are coming next year.

Is it written in stone that if you takeover this year, as young qualified farmer, you'll only get the top up for 4 years instead of 5, or is it just surmising?

Exactly, I'm under 35 with a green cert, but farming since 09, I'm not entitled to top up.
    My advice would be have the 5 years ending in 2019, or when you're 39, whichever is first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Sami23

munkus wrote: »

It is fact. If you take over this year you will only get 4 years top up. Ring CAP enquiries if you don't believe me

Advertisement