Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router connected directlytophone socket

Options
  • 13-03-2014 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

today I had no internet connection, only 1 light green on router where there should be 3. kept turning it on and off resetting etc, nothing.

so I plugged the router directly into the phone socket. i.e no filter used and then the router worked.

Is it possible to use a permanent direct connection?

current set up is

a double phone socket on wall
    left side not connected, right side is working
    a filter/splitter for phone/internet plugged into right side of phone socket
    phone lines/sockets wired with CAT 5 cable
    • I want to leave the router connected directly into the wall socket and get the left side working for a phone with a filter on it. I hope it might reduce the dropped connections I get every now and again if the router is connected directly to the phone socket
    Is this possible or of any use?
    what needs to be done if its possible?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 its fukt

Looks like you may have a faulty filter. Use it without a filter for now. A new filter is only a few quid

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There's nothing wrong with leaving it directly plugged in. You can get a filter fairly cheaply. If you still have problems, get onto your provider and log a fault with them.

I'm assuming this is on the main telephone socket and not an extension socket. Eircom only have to service up to the main telephone socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

baby fish wrote: »
    a double phone socket on wall

It isnt perhaps one of these?
    Z1XZa.jpg

If so there should be no need for filtering.

If not, leave the modem direct to one side and then ad a single filter(not a splitter) to the other side and feed everything else from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭baby fish

ED E wrote: »
    It isnt perhaps one of these?.

its not that socket exactly, it looks like a normal phone socket but has two slots, no markings for phone or computer on outside. I opened it and the right slot is stamped cat5e with all the wires from the cable connected to it (cat 5 cable used) and the left slot has two wires connected to it also from a cat5 cable. Both cat5 cables go to the attic but only one of these cables is connected to the phone line coming in. the 2nd is just left there. there is a combined filter/splitter plugged into the wired slot for the phone/internet.

ED E wrote: »
    leave the modem direct to one side and then ad a single filter.

this is what I plan to do, I'm hoping removing the current combined filter/splitter and a direct connection will improve the router connection , end having to get new filters as the one that's there now is at least the third one used, the previous ones stopped working too.

will I need to get proper phone line connectors to join the second (currently not used) cat5 cable to the phone line in which will make the second slot usable? can I use choc block, would this make a good connection?

is this a good idea, will this joint in the attic weaken the signal?

Alternative is to buy a new combined splitter/filter as suggested and continue working from the one phone slot, is this a better option for connection and speed?

Is it possible to buy a decent filter/splitter? as I think the ones I'm getting from my internet provider are possibly a cheap job effort?

Advertisement