Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conifer Cones -

Options
  • 12-03-2014 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

CopyofCopyofDSC01004_zpscd5708c8.jpg

I was in the woods recently ,and found these gigantic cones ,

They are quite heavy , and I wonder are they of any use ?

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Clean them up, laquer them and they would make nice Christmas decorations I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They will quite likely open as they get dry and scatter seeds everywhere! That's not to say you can't use them as DeVore has suggested, they look nice, but just be aware!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I collected a big bag of similar-looking cones in January. I rinsed them in clean water, several times, before baking them in the oven at moderate heat for 40 mins or so (found this info on the web). The heat kills any bugs, dries them out and causes the resin within to come to the surface and glaze the cones. When cool the cone will shed the seeds if lightly tapped on a hard surface. They look the buisiness when done.

Advertisement