Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choices

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have narrowed down my choices on subjects to history , art , biology and business. Im most definitely doing history but im not sure what other 2 to pick, i like art as a class but im not really good at it and highly doubt i will have a career in it , biology im not sure because i doubt ill end up doing a science course so it might be useless to me if i pick it. Help?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you like Art, do it. Your history will help with the Art History, plus it's a class where you can relax a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Yeah id like to do it to be able to relax a bit but im not a great drawer so im not sure

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ConorD21 wrote: »
    Yeah id like to do it to be able to relax a bit but im not a great drawer so im not sure

Depends what sort of mark you're looking for I suppose. I haven't had an Art class since I was 12 (and it shows) and I sat LC Art there a few years ago and managed a C2. I made up marks on my Art History paper, even though I made a bags of one question.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ConorD21

Would i be capable of getting a good grade without doing well on the live drawing?

You should have seen my life drawing - God help us - I hope the model never saw it.
    It depends what you mean by a good grade. An A1 or A2, unlikely, but a C or low B yes. Remember, you will have two years of instruction before the exam to help improve your drawing techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

Hi I do art atm, I suppose that's true that already having an interest in history will help out in the art history bit. (which is over a third of the paper, but no ones really going to score 100% in that.) Life drawing is worth 50 marks out of something like 400 so you could be horrendous in that and still do well. History of art is 150 marks, Still life is 100 marks and you craft/design option is 100 marks. There's not one person in my class that's completely hopeless at it, there's people there that never did art once in their life, everyone is brought up to a certain standard. You're never going to be good at drawing if you don't practice. Art might be a relaxing class but its one of my most stressful subjects! it can be hard finding the time during the week to sit down for 2-3 hours and work on something. (well it depends how dedicated you are) but overall i like the challenging aspect of art and it is a nice change to eveything else. if you like art you'l probably stick by and work hard, which should show in your grades. if you pick something you dread then you hardly going to gain anything from it.

Advertisement