Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get my groove back!

Options
  • 12-03-2014 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm female, mid-20s, in a long term relationship.

I used to have a really high sex drive, much higher than my boyfriends. But in the last year or so, it's just disappeared. I have had a stressful year and things still aren't great so that's probably a lot of it. The pill I'm on could also be a problem. But I feel like I've just fallen out of the habit of having sex more than anything. When my boyfriend initiates now, I find myself thinking of excuses and will only have sex if he persists. To be clear, I love him very much, find him extremely attractive and enjoy sex with him.

What can I do to get my groove back?

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, your first port of call should be to your GP, as it may be, as you suspect, a side effect of your current contraception pill - there are a number of threads of this nature on this forum and often a change in contraception can make all the difference - but ultimately, only a doctor can help you with that. Only after visiting your GP should you really consider other possible causes (and solutions) of this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

OP the whole time I was reading your post I was thinking to myself I wonder is she on the pill, and then you said you were. I can't confirm it in your case but I do know that the pill can absolutely cause a decrease in sex drive, so much so where you don't even think about sex anymore let alone having it!
    You could always come off it for a few weeks and see for sure if that's what's causing it, but be prepared for a surge of hormones once you come off, some good and some bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Rainbow Kitty

anna080 wrote: »
    OP the whole time I was reading your post I was thinking to myself I wonder is she on the pill, and then you said you were. I can't confirm it in your case but I do know that the pill can absolutely cause a decrease in sex drive, so much so where you don't even think about sex anymore let alone having it!
    You could always come off it for a few weeks and see for sure if that's what's causing it, but be prepared for a surge of hormones once you come off, some good and some bad!!

+1 to this OP, this happened to me, 3 years ago i got the contraceptive implant and my sex drive disappeared completely, so did the guy i was seeing and at the time i didn't care. Fast forward 3 years when the implant came out and i couldn't believe it as Anna080 has said the surge of hormones was unbelievable, the sex drive came back with a vengeance. I'm sure the pill has the same effect as they are the same hormones coming from it. As Anna has said maybe have a break from the pill for a while and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies. Will have a chat with my GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kenkashin

Hi, I don't really know if any of these things will help, but the help me so maybe give them a try: ;)

1: Go on a sex ban with your boyfriend. I find if i know I'm not allowed have sex with my boyfriend until a week or twos time, then I'll want to have sex waaay more.
    2: Ban sex in your bed. We've all had sex there a million times and eventually you know what to expect. If you have to use the floor or a sofa it'll get you more excited and add spontaneity to your relationship.
    3: Make yourself feel prettier. I know when I feel sexy, I want to have sex more. So buy some nice undies, shave your pins and slap on the make up and see how you feel.
    4: Blue pills... I tried these before from Ann Summers. I know its kinda embarrassing but they really do work (the triple strength ones).

I know these are all short term measures but sometimes they help. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement