Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple problem

Options
  • 12-03-2014 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭

298297.JPG

The router connects to the phone line upstairs where PC A is connected to it.
    The signal doesn't carry through the whole house so I've used powerline adaptors to connect to a wireless switch downstairs which PC B connects to.

When I connect the powerline adaptor upstairs to the router PC A loses its net connection.

How do I go about sharing the net connection between the two machines (and anything else connecting to the wireless) without my machine getting kicked?

Both PC A and B are win7 but there are half a dozen other wireless devices to connect.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

kowloon wrote: »
    298297.JPG

The router connects to the phone line upstairs where PC A is connected to it.
    The signal doesn't carry through the whole house so I've used powerline adaptors to connect to a wireless switch downstairs which PC B connects to.

When I connect the powerline adaptor upstairs to the router PC A loses its net connection.

How do I go about sharing the net connection between the two machines (and anything else connecting to the wireless) without my machine getting kicked?

Both PC A and B are win7 but there are half a dozen other wireless devices to connect.

You have to disable DHCP and the firewall on the router downstairs (the secondary router) and set it up as an access point. DHCP relay should be set up to the IP of the router upstairs.

Set the IP of the router downstairs within the same range as the router upstairs, e.g. If upstairs router is 192.168.1.1 set downstairs as 192.168.1.2 or at least within the 192.168.1.0 range.

Ia the machine upstairs connected wirelessly or by ethernet?

Most likely your problem is the wireless downstairs. Set the AP on the same channel, SSID and password as the router upstairs. Let us know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nice one, I'll give that a shot when I can get control of everything.

No prob. Let us know how you get on anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,391 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have it relaying downstairs now, if I set the channels the same would they not interfere or am I getting this wrong?

kowloon wrote: »
    I have it relaying downstairs now, if I set the channels the same would they not interfere or am I getting this wrong?

This might help

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/diy-it-guy/diy-setting-up-wireless-access-points-as-repeaters-to-extend-wireless-range/

Some recommend you do and some do not.

Some devices will not join the network on another channel if it is stronger, so you may end up having to reconnect. Try a different channel far apart so at least you will not get interference.

The only devices that can be a bit odd are Windows phones, which do not work right if the wireless network is on different channels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 its fukt

Mr. G wrote: »
    DHCP relay should be set up to the IP of the router upstairs.

DHCP relay is only for relaying to a DHCP server on another subnet. As it's all one layer 2 network you do not use it as the DHCP server can receive the broadcast packet without the need to relay

Advertisement