Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for parents who had CVS and have since given birth?

Options
  • 12-03-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, 10 weeks pregnant and hoping to for some reassurance.

I'd like to hear in particular from parents who have experience with CVS and who have since given birth to their babies. But I'd be happy to hear from anyone, especially people who had a positive experience.

I'm booked in for a CVS in the Rotunda on the 25th. I was silly enough to pay attention to a paragraph in a book that is clearly extremly biased against CVS, it states that in one study on 75 women who had CVS, each of the women gave birth to babies with some sort of defect, be it as severe as lost limbs or a damaged nails. That's not a direct quote as I'm not sure that's allowed (this is my first post on boards). So I won't name the book / author either.

I'm quite nervous after reading that and I was nervous anyway, knowing there is a very small chance of miscarraige with the procedure. With CVS in the Rotunda, their chances of miscarraige are 1 in 200 to 1 in a thousand, I know the statistics differ depending on where you choose to get the procedure done.

I'm so happy to be pregnant and really want to start enjoying my pregnancy fully. I have a plethora of reasons for wanting to get CVS done that I don't think I need to go into, my post is long as is! Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pleated1 wrote: »
    Hi, 10 weeks pregnant and hoping to for some reassurance.

I'd like to hear in particular from parents who have experience with CVS and who have since given birth to their babies. But I'd be happy to hear from anyone, especially people who had a positive experience.

I'm booked in for a CVS in the Rotunda on the 25th. I was silly enough to pay attention to a paragraph in a book that is clearly extremly biased against CVS, it states that in one study on 75 women who had CVS, each of the women gave birth to babies with some sort of defect, be it as severe as lost limbs or a damaged nails. That's not a direct quote as I'm not sure that's allowed (this is my first post on boards). So I won't name the book / author either.

I'm quite nervous after reading that and I was nervous anyway, knowing there is a very small chance of miscarraige with the procedure. With CVS in the Rotunda, their chances of miscarraige are 1 in 200 to 1 in a thousand, I know the statistics differ depending on where you choose to get the procedure done.

I'm so happy to be pregnant and really want to start enjoying my pregnancy fully. I have a plethora of reasons for wanting to get CVS done that I don't think I need to go into, my post is long as is! Thanks for reading.

Am I right in thinking cvs is the test for Down's syndrome etc? I don't know anything about either but I know some people get a nuchal test first and based on those results they go for the more invasion tests. I don't know though would nuchal test screen for what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pleated1

Hi, yes, a nuchal test is done prior to a CVS in a lot of cases, sorry, I should have mentioned that I've done a lot of research and CVS seems to be the best option for me, nuchal will most likely suggest I need a CVS by then it'll be a rush and even more stressful. CVS is all we are looking at, after lengthy discussions with the lovely fetal screening staff in the Rotunda.

Just looking for reassurance really, any positive experiences would be great to hear too!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I had the nuchal test in the Rotunda and yes, the staff are just wonderful before, during and after the screening :) We talked about CVS with pur obstetrician too as she was of the opinion that the nuchal test was pointless if you weren't informed about further tests that may need to be done. Yes, there is a slight risk of miscarriage with the CVS (0.5-1%), but deformaties are rare and tend to only be seen tests are performed before ten weeks.

Are you sure the nuchal wouldn't be worth doing? I was sure I was high risk but came out with very low numbers. Best of luck and congratulations on the pregnancy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi OP, I'm sure you are very well informed but did you know there is a new blood test which will give you a definitive answer re Down syndrome diagnosis? Its very simple and is not as invasive as amnio cvs etc. it is called the harmoney blood test. But it does cost around €900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Pleated1

Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes, it is just CVS we are looking at. We have a lot of reasons behind our decision.

Thanks for the suggestion Jerrica, and the congrats :) Congrats to you on getting such good results :)

Thanks for the link and suggestion Sligo1.

We really have looked at and considered everything, I am booked in for and getting CVS in two weeks time, either way. But I could really do with hearing some positive feedback on it all. It's not such a low perecentage for no reason, right...? (I hope!!!)

Pleated1 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your replies. Yes, it is just CVS we are looking at. We have a lot of reasons behind our decision.

Thanks for the suggestion Jerrica, and the congrats :) Congrats to you on getting such good results :)

Thanks for the link and suggestion Sligo1.

We really have looked at and considered everything, I am booked in for and getting CVS in two weeks time, either way. But I could really do with hearing some positive feedback on it all. It's not such a low perecentage for no reason, right...? (I hope!!!)

Try not to worry too much. Google is a nightmare altogether! CVS wouldn't be avaliable if the risks outweighed the benefits. I'm sure you and baby will be fine. Just mind yourself and best of luck :)

Advertisement