Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing New RDA's And MODS?

Options
  • 12-03-2014 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hello of wise one's looking for advice please , received my kayfun clone and ive read that i should boil it for 10min.

Is this correct ? it is chromed brass so wondering if its ok to boil this also should i remove all seals when boiling ?

And should i boil new mechanical mods or would a simple soapy wash do, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Finglas Incubus

This is going to be a subjective topic but I would argue that a good clean in warm soapy water should be sufficient to remove all traces of machine oil or contaminants from the unit. IMO, boiling is overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Seconding soapiness. Warm or hot water won't be enough to degrease the oils.

If you can smell the machining oils wash a lot, if not just one or two scrubs'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Don't soak or boil anything unless you're 100% sure its ss. Take all the screws out and just give them a wipe with tissue. I just put all the dismantled ss stuff into a bowl and put some washing up liquid or half a dishwasher tablet with boiling water, give it a stir and when it cools down give everything a scrub with a toothbrush.
    Repeat if necessary.

Thanks chrome , so is this a no no for chrome plated brass plated and so on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

If its chrome plated just give it a quick rinse or wipe, otherwise you will be left with rust or brass. Don't soak anything for too long, I've seen some of the so-called ss screws from FT rust, they're steel but not ss.
    I agree boiling ss is OTT but I would pour boiling water from the kettle over it.

The dishwasher tablet seems to work pretty well, washing up liquid can leave a nasty washing up liquidy taste for a while :-)

Thats good to know chrome thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I usually take an Isopropyl alcohol soaked toothbrush I have specifically for such purposes & give it a thorough but gentle scrubbing to remove any contaminants...the alcohol evaporates quickly & works a treat.

Advertisement