Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

voltaire diamonds

Options
  • 12-03-2014 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi folks, can anybody recommend voltaire diamonds in Dublin? do they offer better value over your traditional jeweler shop when buying a engagement ring? I plan to propose to my girlfriend with a token ring and then pick the ring together as im afraid i might get it wrong..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

we got my engagement ring and our wedding rings with Voltaire and we love them! My ring was valued by an independent vauler as a lot more than my husband paid for it too so there are significant savings to be had. The only negative thing i would say is we dealt with Seamus who owns the company for my engagement ring and everything went so smoothly and he was brill. For our wedding bands, we dealt with another woman from the office and she made a bit of a mess of the whole thing which took a bit of the good out of it. If that had been our only experience with them, I don't know if I would recommend them. Also, a friend of mine went to them and dealt with the same girl and found that she didn't really listen to what she was looking for and found her a bit forceful so she decided to go elsewhere. If you can deal with Seamus though, he's an absolute gent and really knows what he's talking about. Maybe you could ask for him specifically when you're making the appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

Seamus was not there in my recent experiences.*
    We got our engagement ring there 2 years ago, dealt with Stacey and found her very good.

Went back recently to look for wedding rings, not very impressed tbh.
    The personal feel of it is gone I think.
    Nothing to do with the girl we saw, can't put my finger on it. Just no 'valued customer' feel.

Not sure if we are going to go with them for wedding rings or not.
    I have been on here singing their praises previously.

Also want €30 to engrave wedding date on band, bit tight when you're giving them over a grand for a ring.

I still love my engagement ring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I took my fiancée to see them when we were picking our ring.

Ultimately we decided to go elsewhere over the comments echoed above with dealing with the lady, didn't really listen, was quite washy with details and pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

pooch90 wrote: »
    Also want €30 to engrave wedding date on band, bit tight when you're giving them over a grand for a ring.

Our experience saw that girl trying to give us someone else's wedding rings!! When she showed us them, straight away my boyfriend said ''that's not my ring'' and she told him that sometimes rings look different than you remember and he had probably just forgotten what it looked like!! It also had someone else's wedding date inscribed on the inside but she still insisted they were ours!

When we got my engagement ring, Seamus did a really slick move of handing back money and telling my bf to go have a drink in the Shelbourne to celebrate. Whether it was built in to the price or not, it was a really nice touch. When we went back for our wedding rings after our disastrous visit, we were still charged every last penny without any kind of apology for having previously dragged us in only to try and force someone else's stuff on us!!

Seriously though, most of the people that work there are lovely and helpful and really interested in getting the perfect ring for you! I think you're just unlucky if you get stuck with this staff member in particular. We would probably go back in the future but we would probably specifically ask not to deal with that one woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭pooch90

We were told when we ordered our E ring that Seamus would normally throw you back €50.
    Never happened.
    Gosh, I'm glad it's not only me that's unimpressed.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 80 Verified rep Voltaire Diamonds: Seamus

Seamus here,

Really appreciate your feedback. I always strive for 100% customer satisfaction. Apologies that you have not received that.

If each of you could PM your experience I would really appreciate it.

We have many many happy customers and that is how I would like it to continue. I am disappointed that some of you are not happy and as the business owner I have to listen to your feedback.

It is only be receiving this feedback that we can improve of service and that is what I intend to do.

Many thanks and please PM me.

Kindest regards
    Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thats a bummer, these guys were high on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Just to counter the above, I had a great experience with Voltaire Diamonds and highly recommend them. We've booked to go back in July to get our wedding rings.

We dealt with Sarah for everything and found her to be really professional, very friendly and extremely helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

I found them ok to deal with. They seems to get a lot of good press on here but I found no difference between them and the others in terms of price, choice, quality, service etc.

Also while happy with ring we bought I found they were less than clear when I had a few questions about it afterwards. My oh would like to get her wedding band there but I am not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

We had heard a lot of positive things on boards about Voltaire , we were a bit underwhelmed as they were more expensive for the type of ring we were looking for compared to what we had seen in a high street shop . They kept saying they would beat high street prices but when it came down to it they couldn't . It's worth calling in there for a look but I would have a plan b if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭CorkClaire82

We ended up going with Voltaire last year for my engagement ring and I think we definitely got good value for our money and I do love the ring. However, I too was less than impressed with the customer service, they said the ring would take 4-5 weeks as it was the summer so they were very busy with wedding rings which is fair enough but it took nearly 7 weeks to come in. Every time I rang them to find out about the ring they said they'd ring back in an hour or two but of course no call so I'd have to ring again the next day. It was very frustrating to be fair. Also, we had heard about the €50 back and I thought with the ring being so late that we'd get that too as a good will gesture but nope, nothing back. Oh and we dealt with Sabrina picking out the ring and she was very helpful but we didn't see her again after that first meeting.

Again, these are small enough complaints and I do love the ring but it makes me a little slower to recommend them. I still tell people we got great value and all, I just warn them about the slowness and them not being great at keeping in touch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mod input: I had to edit a couple of posts to reflect accurate experience rather than sweeping statements. Posters are free to give honest reviews of their experiences but please stick to just doing that without making ambiguous inferences about people or assuming that their personal experience is universal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I got my engagement ring in Voltaire last year. It was based on an antique ring - diamond with sapphire shoulders. I love it and am very happy with it. It did take 9 weeks but I was told about this on ordering and had one or two phone calls to let me know where they were at with it. Overall, very happy.

We dealt only with a woman there, never Seamus. She was perfectly nice but told me at the initial consultation that the diamond could only be bezel set. I was a bit disappointed but because I was told it was the only way it could be made I went ahead.

When I picked it up the diamond was claw set. I was surprised but obviously happy. I suppose I felt like she didn't really know quite what she was talking about after this. (There was another fairly major difference too) I was glad it was something I hadn't wanted anyway but it is a bit weird to have the customer expecting one thing and then make it up another way. But like I say, still happy with the end result.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Love my ring from Voltaire. My boyfriend did all the hard work himself, so have no idea how much it cost, but I know he was very happy with the customer service and level of input he got into choosing the ring (he said it was dead easy...is that good??!). Neither of us ever met Seamus, and having heard my friends rave about him for the past few years, that was the reason he went there, so that was a bit disappointing.

I've had to go twice - once to get the ring resized, and once because one of the gems fell out, and each time was dealt with in a very friendly and efficient way. I can see the friendliness being a bit overpowering to some, and you do always feel rushed, but to be fair, it is spot on and they do go out of their way to make you feel valued and happy!

From listening to the above and from some of my friends comments, it does sound like some of the personal touch has been lost through Seamus not being front of house, but I'd imagine it's still a lot more personal and bespoke that you would get over a shop counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I have posted a few times about my experience with voltaire on this forum, so I don't intend to rehash previous "reviews", so please have a quick search.

All I can say is that as a recent customer (engagement ring bought last Christmas week) I couldn't recommend voltaire more highly.

Like others I didn't deal with seamus at any stage, but I found Sabrina to be absolutely on the ball and very easy to deal with. Definitely not at all pushy.

I had an 8 week wait but I was told about this at initial consultation so that was not an issue. I was asked what date I had to have it for and voltaire duly delivered about10 days onin advance.

There was two differences in the ring that was agreed on at consultation - bigger carot and higher grade clarity. So can't really complain about that to be honest.

Didn't get a €50 cash back but didn't know such a practice existed so didn't feel like I lost out. In all honesty a higher specced diamond than agreed for the the same price is a better gift, for me anyway.

We were very happy with the whole process and did go to other suppliers both off street (Loyes) and high street (fields and others)

Fields were Poor in my view in many aspects. Loyes were very good too but just couldn't see a ring that caught my eye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

another +1 for Voltaire, got my wifes engagement ring and our wedding rings from Seamus good price but excellent service, i couldnt recommend him highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Voltaire give a phenomenal service IMO. I bought my girlfriends ring here in feb, and was extremely well looked after, having previously spoken with god knows how many chancers in high street jewellers. Voltaire really understand that for many men this is the first 'big' jewellery purchase they will have made, and go to great lengths to ensure you know what you're getting. Aftercare is brilliant too. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Hi Folks!

Just wondering has anyone had any dealings with Voltaire Diamonds. They are really helpful but my OH thinks that she is annoying them when she has a question because a couple of her emails went unanswered and when she phoned the girl seemed very busy?

It is understandable if they are busy!

Hi thehouses,

Many thanks for your message. Your OH can ask as many questions as she likes and I can assure you that we welcome every question. We strive for 100% customer satisfaction and I hope that we do supply you with the perfect ring.

One of my colleagues was on honeymoon recently and one was on holidays. Thankfully they are now back in the office!

I will PM you my mobile now and feel free to contact me at any time.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Kindest regards
    Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

Dear Seamus, Thank you very much. I have to say that we were well looked after all along, my OH just got a little nervous. I understand as does she that certain times of the year can be hectic. We appreciate your message. We are very pleased to advise other couples to talk to you they will not be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Many thanks thehouses, really appreciate it.

Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

We got my ring in Voltaire and would really recommend them.

I had some issues getting in touch with them a couple of times, but overall Sabrina (who we dealt with) was great. The other girls (sorry, can't remember names!) were brilliant too as the day I picked up my ring, it was fractionally too small so they arranged for it to be re-sized immediately and I had it back the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JMour1

I got my fiances engagement ring from Voltaire Diamonds.. Absolutely no issues and the service / quality / value for money was excellent.

I couldnt speak highly enough and we will be back shortly to buy our bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

We were delighted with her engagement ring from Voltaire, purchased about 3 years ago. Due to family pressure we had to go elsewhere for the wedding bands but I'll be picking up an eternity ring from Voltaire next year for sure.

Advertisement