Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan family

Options
  • 12-03-2014 4:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm researching the following family and am interested to see what my fellow boardsies make of this situation.

Esther Mary Bradley born 1885 (1887?) Census links below:
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Pembroke_West/South_Lotts_Road__Part_of_/1288934/
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_East/Bath_St_/47251/

Married Bernard Nolan in 1921 ( I have the marriage cert). She was approx 36.

I'm searching for their kids. Please note I haven't ordered any certificates yet so I'm still speculating...trying to narrow down the number of certs needed!

I've found the following Nolan children with a Bradley mother: notice the years/registration dates, some of which match with different names. I've used both FMP and Family search to find this info.

Name: Marie Nolan
    Event Date: Jul - Sep 1942
    Registration District: Dublin South
    Mother's Maiden Name: Bradley
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 510

Name: Mary J Nolan
    Event Date: Apr - Jun 1942
    Registration District: Dublin South
    Page Number: 571

Name: Aloysius Nolan
    Event Date: Jul - Sep 1929
    Event Place: Dublin South, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1929
    Page Number: 375

First Name Joseph C
    Last Name Nolan
    Year 1929
    Registered Quarter/Year Jul - Sep 1929
    Registration District Dublin North
    Volume 2
    Page 350
    Mother's Maiden Name (Original) Bradley

First Name Anthony
    Last Name Nolan
    Year 1935
    Registered Quarter/Year Jul - Sep 1935
    Volume 2
    Page 382

First Name Gerrard
    Last Name Nolan
    Year 1935
    Registered Quarter/Year Jul - Sep 1935
    Volume 2
    Page 382

Name: Terence Nolan
    Event Type: Birth
    Event Place: Dublin North, Ireland
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1937
    Page Number: 344

FMP allows you search for other potential marriages with that surname combo. I've found several but all reversed (female Nolan, male Bradley) except one in 1948, which likely far too late for any of these kids.

Please let me know what you think. Is it possible some of the registrations are mixed up? 2 sets of twins? Mother would have been quite old by 1937 to be still having children.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I'd say two or maybe more Nolan/Bradley couples in there, based on the census I think I'd go with the Dublin South district births first...

where did the marriage take place ?

from Electoral roll, it looks like they lived at Sarsfield Rd, Kilmainham in 1939... so still Dublin South... just barely

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oooh nice spot. The Ellen Bradley is Esther's sister living with them there.

Marriage took place in Sandymount.
    Family used St Marys Haddington Road and Star of the Sea for various events.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've ordered Aloysius, Joseph C, and Anthony to begin with.

Genealogy Forum Mod

slightly earlier than the dates you mentioned...the Church on a postcard dated 1908.
    298283.jpg

• Advertisement

Just as a follow up, I had a call from a nice woman in the GRO this afternoon.
    Only one of the certs I ordered has Esther as the mother, so she was checking if I wanted only that. She gave me the name of the other mother, Mary Bradley. So it seems there were definitely 2 Bradley/Nolan couples. And those two boys were not twins but were born the same year - the poor woman!!

Really helpful phone call - has saved me money and effort.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Funny how a small helpful gesture can work wonders. Had a similar experience last week in the NLI, I spent hours going through and back over pages of microfiche looking for a particular item - could not find it. Nonplussed I mentioned this to one of the counter staff, he said wait a few minutes, the originals are here, I'll check. He then came back with the hard copy of what I'd spent hours looking for, it had escaped during the filming process and not been copied.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

On a related note, I recently visited Pearse Street Library - the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
    Have had a similar experience in Longford County Library on a couple of recent visits.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement