Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you train calves to electric fence before turnout?

Options
  • 12-03-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

I used never train them before turnout but the standard of fencing here is terrible so I've been training in the shed. I have to say it is far better to terrorise them young and they don't forget.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Definitely.
    We even tie ~10 inch pieces onto the training wire that dangle loose. They can't resist sniffing these and trying to chew them.
    They yearn very quickly that electric fence = really bad = keep well back.

I can see how this idea of fence training might be impossible for larger operations. But it does work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

There is admittedly a certain perverse kind of gratification in seeing calves get "welded" for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

sheebadog wrote: »
    There is admittedly a certain perverse kind of gratification in seeing calves get "welded" for the first time!

Actually lolled cos it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Yes have a purpose built area with gates and fence set up in side it then one gate that lets them out they come back to the yard for nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I used never train them before turnout but the standard of fencing here is terrible so I've been training in the shed. I have to say it is far better to terrorise them young and they don't forget.

Ill put the frighteners on them before they put the frighteners on me as an old man up the road used to say when he would be belting the calves awayrfrom the bucket of milk !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

893bet wrote: »
    Actually lolled cos it is true.

I must be very cruel because I used to turn the fence off and wait for the calf to approach. I would let them get a good mouthful and then flick the switch....boom, calf gone like the hammers. I do get enjoyment from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I must be very cruel because I used to turn the fence off and wait for the calf to approach. I would let them get a good mouthful and then flick the switch....boom, calf gone like the hammers. I do get enjoyment from it!

Christ your a bad hoor:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

That's nasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Some of the posts here are boarding on sadistic

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Always train them up in yard for couple of days before letting them off. Still though that first blind run they take when they get out into field one or two always go through the wire. They just don't see it. Try to let them into smaller field with ditch/hedge all round first if available rather than into paddocks for this reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

We would feed with milk in paddock for a few days after turn out. Leave mobile feeder in paddock keeps them calm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

We would feed with milk in paddock for a few days after turn out. Leave mobile feeder in paddock keeps them calm.

The mobile feeder is great. I've had 30 or 40 calves following the feeder, straight out of the shed, and brought them to the other end of the farm. It's a great sight seeing a bunch of suck calves that never saw outdoors before running along behind the feeder, chasing "mommy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

maxxuumman wrote: »
    The mobile feeder is great. I've had 30 or 40 calves following the feeder, straight out of the shed, and brought them to the other end of the farm. It's a great sight seeing a bunch of suck calves that never saw outdoors before running along behind the feeder, chasing "mommy".

It amazing, you'll never have to hunt cattle again. They will follow you even as bullers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It amazing, you'll never have to hunt cattle again. They will follow you even as bullers

My two bullocks will come to ya if ya call them

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

No, we have a small grassy area behind one of the sheds and calves are let out here during the day for the first few days. It's well fenced and because of its small size they learn rather quickly to keep back from the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Agh ya,not much fun spending a day fencing after they pull every wire in sight down,train them with them a empty belly and a wire in the yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

And what about the lad that turns around,after getting the shock on the nose, and kicks the wire. Priceless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We erected those "Warning Electric Fence" signs and the cattle now simply read them and take heed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

never train calves to wire but let them out in small batches and they seem settle better, love seeing a calve get a shock for 1st time it puts manners on them and great way of knowing fence is working :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

The little roar they let off is the best.
    Love seeing calves jump and skip when they first go out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

The little roar they let off is the best.
    Love seeing calves jump and skip when they first go out

Aye, ye hear the roar as they get the first shock and another when they spin about and guve it a kick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

First bunch out on wednesday. 14 left off in by night. Two days in the yard first with wire no issues. Old fellow is delighted he always likes to have oldest calves out by Paddy's day :D was looking doubtful up till this week.

Advertisement