Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cameras instillation questions

Options
  • 12-03-2014 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Im looking for some advise in buying a cctv system for the outside of my house. Im looking to install 4 cameras must be good for night viewing and also require a dvr.here is where it gets tricky and maybe its not possible to do I looking at putting the dvr in the attic and want to view the cameras from a tv in my kitchen and in my bedroom. Is this possible to view them from two rooms.also could anyone recommend a complete kit to complete this job without breaking the bank.
    Thanks for ur help in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The easier option is put the DVR in the attic and onto your broadband network rather than messing with modulators trying to get it onto TVs etc.
    Do you have a budget in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

I have it done monitor in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.
    I used a kvm splitter off ebay and two 20 metres of pc monitor cable I used an amplified kvm splitter as the extra power wouldnt do any harm but if your runs are small then an unpowered one will do fine also I use a wireless mouse that I can move from one room to the other or two on the same channell will work aswell.
    All in total cost of around 30 euro.

Assuming your tv doesnt have a monitor input then you can go hdmi with the same set up just a different splitter ie hdmi lead from dvr to splitter then two leads to different tv's.

Any questions Id be happy to answer a pm

Meant to add my set up is the monitor beside the 40 inch plasma in the bedroom and on top in the corner of the kitchen that way I can watch tv and at night the lights coming up the street can be seen and provide an adequate distraction without having to set the motion detection. during daytime if I leave on the choke point where nothing can pass without capture then you always notice 99.5 percent of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

If you have a wireless network at home or can even run cat5 cable handy enough, you can also use a NVR and view the cameras from a smart phone as well as any computer / tablet. I ran an external cat5 cable from my router, outside, up the drain pipe and into the attic. In the attic I put a power over Ethernet switch and NVR and then ran cat5 to the IP cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

thesteve wrote: »
    If you have a wireless network at home or can even run cat5 cable handy enough, you can also use a NVR and view the cameras from a smart phone as well as any computer / tablet. I ran an external cat5 cable from my router, outside, up the drain pipe and into the attic. In the attic I put a power over Ethernet switch and NVR and then ran cat5 to the IP cameras.

Correct me if i am wrong ... but Would Dust / heat / cold temperature extremes etc in the attic have a detrimental effect on the DVR /hard drive and electronics ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Keep them up & in a good air flow & they are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

I have them in a plastic box with the cables coming in through a hole. The box is filled with silica gel so is dry and not a lot of heat is put out so it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I ordered my cctv kit from the uk. I found prices here to be quite off-putting. 2 companies i contacted here never even called or emailed me back. My system is 4 dome cams wired to an 8 channel dvr, connected to my network and viewable on any free web/security cam app. The whole kit cost me about €500 and the cam are 720tvl sony all weather. 2 of them are mini, palm sized cams i use indoors. Its 00:32 now and i just checked the feed from my mobile and the view is nice and clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

@Goz

Could you PM me details of who you bought off in the UK, and perhaps a link to the system you bought?

Thanks

NIMAN wrote: »
    @Goz

Could you PM me details of who you bought off in the UK, and perhaps a link to the system you bought?

Thanks

pm sent. you'll see what I mean about the price difference when comparing like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cooler141414

Hi.. I am also looking at cctv prices. Could you please PM me that place you got your kit
    Regards,

• Advertisement

As a few people have asked, I will just paste it here. I have no connection wth any security companies, just in case any asks :)

The prices listed are ex vat from Nov/Dec 2013

I ordered from www.domarsolutions.co.uk

I have pasted below what I ordered and the codes. Just enter a partial description to find the exact thing in the search bar, or search the site, which is actually quite small.

The account I used is in my business name and address, but I had them ship it to Parcel Motel up North for super cheap delivery costs. Hope this helps.

700 TVL 1/3 Sony Effio-E CCD baby outdoor dome Camera MCD28T9 2 £70.84

Varifocal 700 TVL 1/3 Sony Effio-E CCD Dome Camera -Black MCD2166 2 £76.66

Domar Blue 8 Channel CCTV Audio DVR Alarm Input Web & Mobile Access Hard Drive Size1TB MD8045N-MHS141N 1 £119.45

4 Way DC Splitter MK8S31N 1 £1.00

White Pre-Made RG59 Siamese Cable (5M, 10M, 20M, 30M & 40M) Cable Length40 Metre MK5S6N9-MK4S6N9 4 £32.00

Subtotal £299.95
    Shipping & Handling £5.60
    Adjustment Fee £267.15
    Grand Total £38.40

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Did you not get a monitor?

PeteK* wrote: »
    Did you not get a monitor?

It's connected to my 55" TV if I want to switch the channel :D . I have no need for a dedicated monitor. Plus, I can access the feed from my mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

My parents have theirs in the attic, too. They have a monitor there, but they have an android tablet which comes in handy for a monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

What is the adjustment fee?

Advertisement