Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Bowery Upgrade

Options
  • 12-03-2014 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

New job comes with new commute (~12k, mostly flat) so hoping to get back on the bike. I've a Giant Bowery but find the gearing on it a little easy. Going by this, if I have the stock 17T, then dropping down 1/2 rungs would be enough.

I've found this 15t cog, do I also need a new chain? What should I be looking for when searching for a replacement cog? I'll be getting someone to fit it for me, just want to have the parts ready for them.

I'm using it as single speed, not fixie.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

I used to have a fuji feather, I just picked up a freewheel for 15 quid in my lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

The cog you inked to is a cassette cog. I don't think this is what you need.

You shouldn't need a new chain. There should be enough links on the one you have so that you can just move the wheel to accommodate the smaller cog.

What ring are you pushing at the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

46 on the front.

Edit: sorry, 48.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Actually, would it be easier to upgrade the front?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Actually, would it be easier to upgrade the front?

It would be more expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement